I saw a commercial for one of those learning centers,and the girl says she now reads at a grade above the one she's in

Is that a big deal now? When I was in 2nd grade,I read at a 6th grade level,and by 6th,I read at a 12th grade level.
My abilities seemed pretty average,though. If the kid read just at grade level,it was a cause for possible concern back then.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I know, how times have changed.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Well, if they're at a learning center, chances are that they were behind to begin with. We took our youngest son to Sylvan last summer because he was way behind, not reading or writing close to his grade level. He was there for three months, and now he's reading just above his grade level, which was a huge jump from where he started.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Many children read above their grade level, but for those who struggle and are behind, getting the tools to catch up and even get ahead is a very big deal!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• My son started out this year being behind in reading, but he is already reading above grade level. I know it doesn't seem like much from the outside, but to me it is a vast improvement that is to be celebrated for him.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• In the context of a learning center, reading at grade level might be a major achievement. Many adults don't; they write the newspapers at about an eighth grade level so people can comprehend them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• My DD is in pre-k and is reading at just about a 1st grade level... people think she is a genius... and I'm like 'really smart maybe but the fact is she likes to read and we encourage the behavior...'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Idk... kids all learn on different timelines. My older three always tested lower than their grade level until 6th grade, and then they just took off and were well above grade level. I considered a learning center at the time, but decided to wait and see. I was the same way with reading, always at the lower end of the scale in reading until about 5th grade. My brother and sister were also that way. My youngest has learning disabilities, so I'd be happy to have her at grade level, let alone one higher. Honestly, it might never happen. I'm just happy that she can tap out most words now.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• That's true JJK
    I've seen this though in my son's school. They gush over the kids that read AT level. Shouldn't that be the bare minimum?
    I think the school sucks if the kids are not above average in reading and language skills. I'm not talking the kid or 2 struggling.
    I guess cell phones don't exactly help....

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2013