What's up with the teacher anyway?

My daughter had an assignment where she was supposed to color everything on a page that started with a letter m. The directions didn't say anything about using the correct colors. So my daughter got out her new crayon tower, picked out all the sparkly purples and pinks, and went to town. When we got the paper back, there was a note on it from the teacher that said, "Come on, Sarah. You know what color monkeys are supposed to be." There are no grades in preschool, and besides, my first thought is that she did what the assignment said.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's flubbin' preschool for cryin' out loud! Sheesh, glad my kids' teachers were never that anal. Proper instructions for an assignment should never be implied, especially for younger kids. They are quite literal, and unless you tell them specifically what to color and how to color it, they will follow what makes sense to them.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I would send her a note, "You've never seen a purple or pink monkey? I am sorry, you should get out more!" Something to get the point across, but be funny at the same time.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Tell your DD the teacher has no imagination, of course monkeys can be purple.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Oh my word - none of my kids' teachers were ever picky with colors on stuff like that! Colors only mattered on color sheets.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Wow! How is that even an issue?
    The point was that she identify the M words.
    SMH

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• They need to give specific directions when they require specific answers. Especially in preschool.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Griping about a preschooler not coloring it the actual color? Come ON. That's just being nitpicky.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Her teacher didn't grow up in the 70's obviously. I mean come on... The Great Grape Ape Show? Yeah, the ape was purple... or kind of a fuchsia. Is she saying apes can be purple,but not monkeys?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Sorry monleys are brown and somethings are implied.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• In addition to the purple monkey, my daughter colored an orange mouse, a pink mouth, a yellow muffin, and a sparkly moon with a glitter crayon. She traced the M's in blue. I told her she did a fine job.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2013