Breastfeeding 2 day old newborn

My baby is only 2 days old and was taking to the breast really well. Today was his "surgery" and isn't really wanting to nurse but will every so often, otherwise he just screams when I try to feed but just continues to cry. The nurses gave him a pacifier which I was reluctant to give him but now I feel bad to not give him. If he isn't taking to e breast does this mean he's not hungry?

Parkers_Mommy8

Asked by Parkers_Mommy8 at 2:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So he was circ'd today? That makes lots of little boys fussy eaters for a day or two. Like JJK said, as long as he's having 6 wet diapers a day, he's good, & hopefully he'll start nursing better soon!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 2:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Keep in mind, he's learning too. Some babies take to the breast right away, and some take a little longer to learn. I had one who was a great nurser from the start, and one who had a hard time nursing for the first month or so. What ever you do, don't offer formula or bottles, because that will make the problem worse. If you're worried that he's not getting enough milk (if he's having enough wet diapers, he's fine), find a lactation consultant to help you. Sometimes it's a simple fix, a change in the way you latch or a change in position. I could only nurse my youngest in the football hold for the first month and a half. Also, you probably would get some great advice from some of the breastfeeding groups here. Good luck.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• It doesn't necessarily mean he isn't hungry, he might just be getting frustrated. If you can use the pacifier to just get him calmed down it will help, and then try getting him to breastfeed when he isn't so upset. Two of my 3 used a pacifier and breastfed, it wasn't a problem. My third just simply refused the pacifier.

I agree with JuleJacobKyle that a lactation consultant can help you. If you are still in the hospital, you can ask the nurse to send one in to help you.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• If you're talking about him getting circumcised, he's normal. His penis is hurting from the surgery, and nursing stimulates his need to pee. My son did the same thing for about a day after he got circumcised.

Your son IS hungry, but the urine touching his wound HURTS, so, for now, he's associating the pain with nursing. In another day or two your baby will be back to nursing like a pro, as he heals.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• the baby is in pain because of the circumcision and his reaction is normal :( poor baby
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2013