Who should get sterilized?

If you are married and your husband doesn't want anymore children but you still do, should the husband get a vasectomy since he is the one that never wants anymore children? or should the wife get her tubes tied?

EDIT: It's not about divorcing my husband or me saying I don't plan on staying with him forever. I have tried many birth control methods and none of them work for me. I get blood clots and at one point I nearly lost my life due to blood clots. He doesn't want to wear comdoms but yet he doesn't want anymore children and he doesn't want a vasectomy. He should take the precautions too, not just me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Relationships

• He should because he's the one who's adamant about this. Just imagine if you got your tubes tied, got divorced and remarried and wanted a baby with your new husband and discovered that your tubal couldn't be reversed (and many cannot)? It would be yet another reason to hate your ex ...

Besides, a vasectomy is less invasive and also more easily reversible than a tubal.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Well if you go based off of that "who does not want to have more kids". the yes it should be the one who does not want any more kids.

See marriage is supose to be forever, right. So what you are saying, is that you do not plan on staying with him forever. JMO
    Truthfully you both should be on the same page with this issue.

Answer by louise2 at 6:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• neither until you work out that situation between you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Louise, we ALL get married believing it will be forever. However, the stats show that divorce actually does happen :)

Sometimes we need to be realistic and take off the rose-coloured glasses and ask ourselves "What if ...?" when making decisions that might be for life.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I would say neither of you. Just use some other means of birth control. People do change their minds about this issue!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• He should, for two reasons: a vasectomy is a less-serious procedure, with an easier recovery; and it's more likely to be reversible if at some time you change your minds.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• HIM, he's procedure is easier and safer.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I think the man should either way. It is a 10 minute process he is in and out the same day. For a woman it is actual surgery, cutting her open, a hospital stay and a nice scar right across her stomach. I refuse to get my tubes tied because my husband has said for years he is getting the vasectomy, but keeps chickening out.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Well, it would probably be best to be agreed on this subject. But, if he doesn't want more children, then he should be sterilized.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I think he should be the one getting the vasectomy he is the one that do not want any more kids.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 11:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2013