Tamiflu for a 2 1/2 month old???

I have a friend who has recently told me that she has started giving her 2 1/2 month old Tamiflu for her flu like symptoms. Is this okay? I am not sure if her doctor actually prescribed it or not, but the more likely story is her 4 year old daughter is on it and she is just giving them both from the same bottle. I've also heard that this medication is only approved for children aged 1 and up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• Why don't you just ask her if the dr gave the baby a script? I don't know jack about tamiflu because we just let nature run its course.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• You could say something such as "I didn't know tamiflu was prescribed for children under age 1?"

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• It should only be given on prescription for age 1 and over so I would just tell her that I was surprised that a doc would prescribe it for an infant.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Someone in a group posted an article about this last week - I can't find it back so I'm wondering if they deleted it. Anyway, the jist was that doctors are prescribing tamiflu now for babies under a year old as well this year, even though there are so many side effects in older people and it's never been proven what/if long term effects could be. The problem with your friend giving her infant the 4yo's medicine is the dosing - she could easily be overdosing the poor baby. And if the baby has symptoms she needs to be seen, not just given another child's meds. They may both be her kids but it's still illegal!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2013