Ready to potty train?

My son is 18 months old and I tihnk he is ready to be potty trained. He hates when his diaper gets wet and will start grabbing at himself when he wets his diaper. He'll take it off if he can get to it. He has also started kinda letting me know when he has to "potty" and I will take him and put him on the toilet but he won't go in the toilet. He will actually hold it until he is off and has a diaper on. Then get mad cause he has a diaper on and want it taken off. He doesn't like to wear diapers and will fight me when I'm trying to put them on him. I don't know what to do! Should I go ahead and potty train and if so what's the best way to do it with an 18 month old? Or should I just wait and continue to have him fight me over the diaper thing? Please help!

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 2:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he is definitely interested. Something I heard about doing was start by letting him keep the diaper on and sitting on the potty. Maybe he will feel more comfortable that way and then, when he is ready let him sit on the potty without a diaper. I'm not sure if this works, I didn't try it, but hopefully it will help you out! Oh, just make sure you don't pressure him into it, let it be his idea.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My kid potty trained at 18 months. I'm a stay at home mom and my tatic was to let him run around naked a lot. He's really like it and he potty trained fast.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Thank you both for your help and support! I am thinking about the running around naked thing and also if that doesn't work trying the potty with the diaper still on. I'm glad to hear that your child was potty trained at the same age so now I know it can be done! LOL! Thanks again for the replies!
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 6:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2009