Would it bother you if your Kinder came home and..

the first thing he says is "There was a 3rd grade teacher who was driving on saturday or sunday and she ran over a patch of ice and her car rolled over and over and she died"
Then I go through his bag and there is a letter from the principle telling us about the car accident and the unfortunate passing of one of their teachers.
I do not like that my 6yr old knew her car rolled over and over and then she died. Why would they tell the class that? He has no interaction with 3rd grade teachers, so I don't really know why he was told at all, and if he was told why not just to say that she passed away. If the kids were to ask why then "a car accident" would suffice. Why go into such detail? It really bothers me.

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 11:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe they didn't come out & say that her car rolled & she died.. Little kids talk & often come up with their own details of things. Another child might have added that detail in & told your child that.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I'd go to the school and ask some questions. That may not be what the school told the students. Another student may have heard the story and retold it. It may even have been on the news, or the kids could have overheard parents or other adults discussing what happened. Things are often repeated somewhat innocently by adults in front of their own children...or others, and stories get spread.

The school may have explained it appropriately, and children start talking and spread what they hear.

The school probably discussed the situation with children in case any of them heard about the story elsewhere, or had contact with that teacher for other reasons.

Go to the school and ask questions if you are concerned.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• ask on HOW it was told. Kids come to their own stories all the time. My DD once said her dance teacher said she would be ugly if she didnt wear make-up and what was really said was She needed to wear make up on her dance recital so their pretty faces can be seen on stage.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• No it would not bother me. It would bother me if my child decided that this big event was not something to tell me about but it was a big thing to her.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Thats true, but he said the teacher told him that.

I do understand how the kids can make up stories, when my son had to go to the ER for knocking his teeth out the class had made up some doozies and another kids mom called me to ask if he was ok after breaking both of his arms. But he said the teacher told him so I don't know.

cassie_kellison

Comment by cassie_kellison (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I would contact the school & ask. My oldest daughter takes death of anyone very hard & I wouldn't want someone giving her the details of something like that.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• My kids know my dad died from some jackass texting and running a red light. I wanted them to know early on how dangerous it is. If that makes me an insensitive parent oh well. At least they know the dangers of texting and driving. It wasn't made public by the school but I didn't disclose details.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• maybe he heard it from the kids at scholl, and it was given a bit of ...flair...you know?
    I seriously doubt that any of the adults told him that " the car rolled over and over ansd she died"
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• *typos...ugh
    school, and
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• When the death of a teacher or student occurred at any of the schools my kids attended there was an assembly of all the kids and they were told what happened, because children get a snippet and run with it.
    But the teacher my have been plagued with questions to explain and she may have said the car rolled over and your daughter or her friends made the story larger.IDK It is natural.
    Our schools offered counseling for any child that felt the need to talk and extra counselors were brought in to the school.

You may wish to call and ask but I guearentee that many others will be doing the same and so you may have to wait to talk to the principal, just saying so you don't feel like you are being brushed off.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2013