2 Questions

I heard that if a child dosen't say single words by 16 months and 2 word phrases by 24 months that it is a sign on autism. Has anyone heard this before? Is it true?

Also, my son seems to always hide somewhere when he goes poop. Does this mean anything potty training wise?

ClvDandJ

Asked by ClvDandJ at 2:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may mean he is ready to potty train. If you are concerned about his verbal development, talk to your pediatrician. They can arrange to have him evaluated for speech.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I am unsure about your second question, but the first is not true. My nephew did not say a single word until he was 18 months and then it was only a couple words until he was 2. Once he hit his second birthday you could not shut him up. My SIL was worried and kept asking the pedi, but he said not to worry until the second birthday and he hadn't said anything. I believe people have become a bit paranoid about Autism so don't read too much into things. He may just not have anything to say yet.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• The first is not true. Yes, kids with autism may show these signs. But plenty of normal, healthy kids will too.

The second is a sign of readiness. Not wanting to be seen while pooping is a sign. I suggest you get a book like "The No Cry Potty Training Solution". It has a good list of questions in the front to help you figure out if it's a good time to start training and things to do to help get him ready if he's not quite there yet.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I was a worrier about my son crawling late sitting up late etc. until I caught on that he waits until he knows how to do it perfectly. now I barely look at those guidelines because it makes me crazy. The pedi asks me the milestone questions and he always has them done before she would worry. So at 9 months I knew he wasn't going to be walking but at 12 months he walked for a day and then ran the next. Every kid is different learn who he is and help him be the best he can instead of worrying he's not like someone else's. Autism has lots of other signs that I think you would be able to see by now.
    XanandLeosMama

Answer by XanandLeosMama at 6:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2009