If your child's school had a school shooting, would you let them return to school or would you be too scared?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 11:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• He would have to. I can't homeschool, I need to work to support our family. Plus, I refuse to let the fear of "what if" dictate my life. I am not being cavalier about it, but I can't just round him up and pack him away so that nothing negative ever touches him.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• What is the chance that there would be another school shooting at the same school?

If you had an outbreak ofwhooping cough or influenza that killed a number of people would you be afraid to send you kid to school?

I am not that silly.

I do think it was a good idea to move the children of Sandy Hook to the empty school because of the trama and memories for those children but not for any other reason.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I would let them go back. I refuse to live in fear and I want to teach my kids that as well.

Answer by missanc at 2:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• if it happened today,he'd be home for the rest of the school year.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• depends on the outcome. If it was like Sandy Hook my child will never go to school again and I will be homeschooling.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I don't have a definitive answer for this because there are too many variables. Yes my child would be going back to school. Would they go back to THAT school or a different one? It depends.

Does my child want to go back? Did the shooting happen in their classroom? Was the shooting on the other side of the school? What measures are the school/district/city/community taking?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• That's a tough one. I couldn't say unless I was in that situation... I'm thankful we never have, and pray we never are...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Good question, and I don't really know the answer to this one. I think it would be really hard to send them back to the same school, or feel safe sending them to any school ever again.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice....right?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• But in all honesty I think it would depend on his reaction to it. If he was terrified to go back he probably wouldn't for a while, but he'd be in therapy.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2013