If you worked at a job and then quit. Would you ever go back and ask for a job again?

I worked there just a short time. I left without notice. I see the job is available again and they are having trouble filling it. I would be interested in getting it back. How do I go about it? I was friends with them and used their services a lot. I still do. Do you think I should try or would you not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Money & Work

• I would be embarrassed to go back if I'd left without notice.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Not if you left without notice. An employer would be stupid to hire you back.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• You just walked out with no notice? No I would think that they would not hire you because you are unreliable.
    I amnaged apartments and if an employee did that to me, I was not interested in hiring them again, no matter how good at the job they were.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Go ahead & try. You have nothing to lose but don't be disappointed if they scold you & say no.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• It depends on why and how I left. In your instance, I don't think I'd try. There is a burned bridge there.

One job i had, that I loved, I had to quit because I moved and the paycheck wasn't worth the commute. I left that job on very good terms, and I've been told that I'd be hired back in an instant if I'm every in the area again.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Considering the fact you only worked there briefly and the way you left, it would take a lot of balls to ask for the job back. If I were the employer, I wouldn't take you back.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I have gone back to a job, but it was one where I left on great terms and gave 4 weeks notice. I'm not sure I'd bother asking for a job back when I gave no notice... especially after working for them for just a short time. What made you leave without notice, and why, if you left like that, would you even want the job back?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• A psycho ex-friend of mine tried this. We became friends because we worked together and one day she up and cussed out the boss, deleted a bunch of important files and walked out. A few years later she tried to reapply for a position (I still work here) and though the boss she cussed out at the time is gone, the one in his place now was around then and knew all too well what went down. He literally laughed when he saw her application. I personally wouldn't embarrass myself like that but if it's your only option......
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Depends on the situation. If I left without notice though I wouldn't bother reapplying later. That looks horrible on an employee's record.

If I left on good terms (like I moved away or left to be a SAHM until my kids went to school) then I could see myself applying again to a good company.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Sure, I've done it. But I left on good terms and they had told me to come back when/if I was ever looking for a job.

Answer by missanc at 12:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2013