Potty training!

I have atwo and a half year old boy he acts like he wants to start. What worked for you and your child? Any tips would be very helpful! Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• honestly? candy and NO pull-up or diapers (except at night)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I hope that wasnt sarcastic? Everyone has a first time! This is my first kid! Thank you! I will start with that!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Start with standing & peeing in the big potty. Get a potty seat that sits on the toilet & make sure it has the pee cup thing on the front. Then go to pooping! I had a sticker rewards thing with lightening McQueen stickers that he got a sticker to put on the track for every time he used the potty then when he started pooping on the pot he got to go to Walgreens to pick a toy. It could be a very long process with a boy but hang in there & don't get too upset if it doesn't always work out. He may or may not be ready yet. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• BTW, I never used pull ups ever & you may need to still hold on to those diapers he is still young.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Sorry if it sounded sarcastic...I didn't mean it to be at all. I jsut know some moms would have issues with the fact that we used candy as a reward system

I was being honest- that is how we did it, and it worked for both kids - took less than 2 weeks each *besides bed wetting. My dughter did once and my son had that issue for years (every few months or so)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• ilovemypaulie Thank you!! luckily my son and my eight month old daughter are in the same size diapers. Yes she is a chunk! Thank you for your advice!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• charlotsometimes Its always hard to tell when you cant actually hear the person :) Thank you! I will get some little treats for sure! I am all for the candy! Thank you!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• We used m&ms - 3 for peepee and 5 for bm's. Worked like a charm! Put them straight into big boy underwear (get some with a character he likes, and get quite a few). When mine were ready they trained in days.

Answer by missanc at 2:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Just make sure he is really ready, then stay home for three days and take away the diapers. You will go through a lot of underwear the first two days, so make sure you have plenty. At least 15. Never go back to diapers or pullups again, except at night. It only takes three days if they are ready. Take him every half hour the first day. Day two go every hour, but he will start to get it
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2013