Flu shot question.

I am taking my 2yr old son to get a flu shot today, should I be prepared for any side effects, etc.?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 1:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• He might be cranky and feel down for a few hours. Give him some Tylenol or Motrin beforehand so he doesn't get a fever. But he ight also be fine. Everybody's different.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• last season's side effects were that those that received the flu shot and then were exposed to the flu in that season got the flu FAR worse than those who didn't get the shot. This was info given to my sister by both the doctor and the nurse at the hospital when she had to take her 2 younger ones in due to lethargy and not holding down any fluids whatsoever.

The flu shot really isn't the way to go
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Our entire family gets the flu shot every year. We rarely get sick & have never had any adverse effects from the shot. It's best to do what Izsarejman said to help w/ pain relief. The injection site is a bit sore for a day or 2, but that's about it. It does take up to 2 wks for the effects of the shot to take hold, so hopefully by getting it so late in the season, it will still help protect your child from getting it. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Ask to see the package insert for the vaccination. That will give you details about any side effects.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• May make him sleepy or groggy...he may be sore where they insert the shot. Ask the Pharmacist/Dr. about your concerns before hand.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• sore in the area were the shot was given, a cool cloth should help a bit. lots of TLC and rest
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I had mine this afternoon with my two sons. My eldest son and I felt very tired and I took a 1/2 hr nap...otherwise nothing else
    My husband had his shot and he "claimed" that he got a cold immediately after the shot!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2013