A good read and this is from snopes BTW

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/haroldestes.asp

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 2:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• is there a reason for this post? Or just doing it to get that letter out there?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• good for him? he wrote an angry old man letter to someone he doesnt like. i bet no other President ever got a letter just like this from an retired military man who thinks the country isnt what it use to be. i dont see what posting this is supposed to do...make me dislike Obama even more b/c some old person doesnt like him?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Good thing angry old men like that are literally a dying breed. He also lived in an era with separate but equal and he probably never changed. I bet he still hated blacks eating at the same lunch counter using the same bathroom as he did. Sure he's a walking history book, but to disrespect a black president shows his old white guy cred.
    Anonymous

• Why is it assumed that the man is racist by so many members here?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Are we still under that unwritten rule that of one opposes Obama, one is definitely racist? Wow, I thought this was the political debate forum. WTH can we debate about if there is only one view allowed? I am so sorry if some of you don't like it, but the way things are going so far, there won't be one damned thing that I agree with Obama about. He is the most divisive man I have ever known, heard of... He does not represent my views or needs or wants. He does not care what my views even are, he dismisses anyone who does not agree straight out of hand, while he goes to the media and preens and call himself a "friendly" guy. LMFAO. I don't want a friend, I want a leader, who will do the right thing for the WHOLE country, not just his donors.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• "Why is it assumed that the man is racist by so many members here?"

if mine was taken that way, it wasnt meant. my great grandfather was, i didnt mean to imply that this man was, too. i was just trying to show that not everything an older person says is valuable just b/c of their age.

also, i value history, its why im working to teach it. but sorry, one mans letter does not change my already unimpressed opinion of Obama. who would be ignorant enough to read one letter by an aged man and change their opinion? rather its used by ppl who already share his opinion to try to convince others to think the same way.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Self explanitory
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Thanks.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• This man had lived through and participated in almost 100 years of this country's history and you don't think what he had to say was important enough to listen?
    OK
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• its as important as listening to the things my great grandfather (who was 99 when he passed last month) had to say. which were usually racist ramblings, out of date views on many things (women wearing pants, interacial marriage), and a hatred for anyone who didnt live their lives exactly as he thought they should. he was a good man, who had great stories, but that doesnt mean im going to base my opinions on his own...same goes for this other man.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2013