• In the Spotlight:

a question made me wonder....

I read a question on here and while I don't agree with what the person who posted it did, I have to admit I was more disturbed by everyone's reaction to it. So, that got me wondering - why is it that we, as women, get up in arms when we hear about a man hitting a woman, and we despise men who do that, and men who are ok with other men doing that, but we don't have a problem with women who hit their men?

When a man hits a woman, society (rightly, imo) wants him punished. But when a women hits a man, the response, based on what I read here, seems to overwhelmingly be "well, he deserved it". As women, why do we have a double standard?

We wouldn't want our dd's with men that hit them, would we want our ds's with women that would hit them?

What do you all think?

sailorwifenmom

Asked by sailorwifenmom at 2:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• no i don't agree with others.. opposite sex or COUPLES in general.. should not hit each other. (no one should but of course it happens and then i think thats just immaturity) but i do not think its right for couples one person to hit the other. domestic voilence is never okay and they should be punished. women can be crazier then abusive men and they exist and should be locked up the same as men should when they do it.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• cause it has been conditioned through all the yrs that this is how it is. this not the only thing women feel entitled too. if you read the proper care and feeding of husbands you can see how what a woman does is ok but if her man did the same thing he would be cursed. we women need to change our frame of thinking. it's never ok to be violent with anyone, ever.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I'm one of the ones who doesn't think it's ok for anybody to get hit, man or woman. I have three sons and I don't want them to hit women but I definitely don't want a woman to hit them. And if that ever happened all they would have to do is call mama and she'll take care of it! But seriously, I don't think it's ok for men or women to hit each other.
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies for your answers! I was really worried that I was in the minority that thought that men shouldn't be hitting women, but that women shouldn't be hitting men either.

I have both a son and a daughter, and I don't want either of them with someone that hits them, no matter what the reason!

The only time I think it's ok to hit is when it's self defense. To just hit someone, man or woman, because you didn't agree with what they did, or you thought it was better than calling the police is just wrong, in my opinion.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Women and men who hit each other are disgusting.
    Anonymous

• there is def. a double standard.... funny how that works right?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I totally get your point. If a man hits a woman and goes to jail for it than a woman who hits a man should have her ass thrown in jail too. I think the laws are screwed up, some women know that they could get away with a lot and they use that to their advantage.
    Anonymous

• Its wrong for woman to hit a man too. Who would ever say it is alright for a woman to hit a man? Or that he deserved it? Holy cow....sometimes I just wonder. Its wrong for either to hit with fists or hit with words,you know.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i dunno... i wont go off and hit someone for no reason but if i feel in danger or threatend or someone i am with is, i will "deal with it"
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• No one should be hitting another person, whether they are a man and a woman, or a woman and a man, two women or two men, or any other assortment possible. Big people shouldn't hit little people and little people shouldn't get away with hitting big people... Well you get the idea, NOBODY SHOULD BE HITTING ANYBODY!!!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2009