How much would i roughly be getting in my taxes? look below for details

i hate to say this buy im a stay at home (new) mom that lives with my mother and my boyfriend. I am not head of household, my mother is and she just only got a job this last week. my boyfriend has a good job but doesnt pay much, my mother draws social security and we get food stamps and wic for my little boy. i know i wont know exactly what i would be getting (if i get anything) but i would like to know if i am getting anything and what would you think it would roughly be? p.s.- im 23, by boyfriend is the father and is living with us, we have been together for 5 years now.

shanaynaycowell

Asked by shanaynaycowell at 2:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Money & Work

• Well no one will no the answer to that until you file taxes. Did you work at all in 2012? If so, you can take your W-2 forms and file taxes. The amount you get back there would depend on how much you made at that job. You can also get the earned income credit for your child which last year was a little over $3000. If you didn't work last year, you can't file taxes. Your boyfriend or mother, if they worked, could claim your child and receive the tax credit.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• If you don't have a job,nothing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• You might wait for a tax expert to answer but if you are not a minor child, then you ARE the head of your household (your child and yourself). Your bf can file separately and your mom can file separately. Of course if you didn't earn any income then you can't get the EARNED income credit but may be able to get a child credit. But even with that, if you have not paid anything in, then you won't get anything back. It's like a bank, you deposit money in from your paycheck and you get it back if you don't owe any taxes.
    Anonymous

• Your BF can claim your child technically. But then again,so can your mom

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• thank you, im all new to this and i keep hearing people say that its going to be this HUGE check lol, i doubt it simply because i didn't work last year. However i did babysit a lot and took care of animals on a daily basis. but i got paid in personal checks and im sure that wouldn't do. i think my best best is to let my boyfriend claim our child. thank you for the answer, and it came so quickly!
    shanaynaycowell

Comment by shanaynaycowell (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Yah..you wouldn't be able to file taxes this year. But your boyfriend should get some money ( depending on what he made last year ) from his work check & then the earned child credit also. I work 35 hours a week, 5 days a week & make about $9.25 an hour. On my taxes last year--claiming two children ( $5100 or so ), having my W-2 form from work & receiving my daycare credit ( what I paid to my daycare ), I received $9100 back on my taxes. So maybe that will give you a little bit of a clue what your boyfriend may get.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• If you didn't pay taxes on the income you earned from babysitting and animal sitting then you won't get anything back.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• haha i didn't realize i would get so much help in such a small amount of time! i will consult a specialist about this, thank you for the tips, i was really worried that i would look like an idiot if i walked in and expected to walk out with something. My mother is determined to be the head of house (which is correct because in the end all the bills are in her name and she pays) my boyfriend pays her rent and helps out with most of the bills though, than again he is just happy to have us as a family. lol and don't worry im not a minor, im 23 and a little ignorant with tax info. Thank you again everyone for all the tips, it really is helpful!
    shanaynaycowell

Comment by shanaynaycowell (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• You are very welcome! & if you haven't ever filed before this can be a confusing thing to understand!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• yeah,we're fast here in Answers

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2013