I am reading a book and wonder about your thoughts.

The world as we know it has ended, in one single flash of white light. There is no power of any kind. Firearms of any kind do not work. Matches work but explosives do not, nor anything that require that tiny explosion to start.

I am early on in this book and the speculation is EMP so that is something to go on.

I am wondering how I would survive. It is one thing to not have electricity and quite another not to have a gun against predators.

What do you think would be the first thing you would do if you were in a city.
So no horses etc. sitting right next door. Theonly transportation would be your two feet.

What is the first thing you would do (other than make a plan) and why?
If you were leaving your home, what would you take with you?
How much could you carry/transport?

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 3:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Dard, you should read the book, The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, This book reminds me of your question.
    It's about a father and sons post apocalyptic journey and the ways they survive.

Very good read. Gives you a lot to think about.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I don't know if I'd leave my home, at least not right away... I live right next to a sportsmans' store, so I'd be walking across the street & stealing crossbows, knives, pepper spray, etc. After that, I'm not sure.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• i would high tail it to KA91's house
    she will have supplies
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Hey, Jersey & Fiat, if you could find my little hill town you'd be welcome. CM survivor party would kick ass! I realized what I'd do second, as well. There's a pharmacy across a block & the railroad tracks. After I locked up everything from the sportsmans' store in the coal room in my basement, I'd be hightailin' it over there- load up a cart with meds, bandages, etc & mace anybody who got after me.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• We would probably get together with your neighbors. See if we could survive as a group.

Answer by louise2 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Well first off I fail to see how an EMP would have any effect on firearms (which are mechanical not electric) or "any thing that uses a small explosion to start other than matches" (which essenatially are lit by starting a small chemical explosion to jump start a reaction as they contain phosphorus)...... sorry I just can't seem to get past the faulty logic in order to give this serious consideration
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I am coming to your house KA!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I get that it's a story, I'm just saying it must be a BAD story to not know anything about science or technology. I mean even pumps move water by mechanical action. (We only use electricity to cause that action now but even without electricity it doesn't mean people won't be able to get water from pumps or wells. Just that they can't use electricity to do it for them.)
    Anyways we survived centuries without electricity and still managed to have thriving societies. We can easily go back to it. There'd be a brief, WTF do we do now but chaos and disorder would not take over.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• First I'd have to get my kids to stop crying for the loss of their electronics! lol :p We would make our way to my mom's since she has a generator. It would be quite a walk, so I guess we'd pack essentials in backpacks & bike to my moms.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I would take as little as possible, I would assume that money wouldn't have too much value, so we would have to rely on barter and trade for skills, I would take as much medicine as I could get my hands on, I would think that in this case even a tylenol would be priceless. I know we would have to leave here quickly because the city people would be fleeing and headed our way, we do have a pony, and I think we would take her to pack blankets etc. I would try to get to my parents house, and my brother's about 50 miles away, my brother has an actual bomb shelter in his house, lol! He remolded an old 50's house and left it in tact.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2013