What affects hair growth in a child? *pic*

My 3 year old dd has very little hair still. Wondering if it's a vitamin deficiency or something else?

Or she just doesn't have a lot of hair?

I see little girls her age with hair down to their butts and go, hmm. What's up with that?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I'm assuming all kids are just different. On my old site, a member used to CONSTANTLY (like annoyingly constantly) post pics of her little girl b/c she was trying to push her into modeling. Anyway the kid had no hair until she was like 2 & then it was just peach fuzz.

My youngest DD is 3 and doesn't have hair to her butt (but, she's been getting it cut every few months since she was a little over a year). Her hair is curly in the back so, it looks like she has less hair than she really does.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Aww beautiful kids!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• okay, i had to go to my computer to upload the pics lol

this is my middle one, 3 months before she even turned 3! of course i took random pics of her hair because i love it

now my youngest, from the front and back. a big difference! she turned 3 on sunday.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I wish I could upload a pic of my 3 year old here from my phone. But anyway, she doesn't have a lot of hair, but it's curly. In the back, when dry, it goes just passed the nape of her neck. When wet it's a little longer. In the front it's shorter and curls up just passed her ears. It seems to be growing out instead of down, in the morning she has a fro lol! I'm thinking its normal for some kids and it'll come im eventually. My older two had long hair by three so I'm not sure why she's different.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Some kids just don't have a lot of hair. I know one little girl who didn't have her first hair cut until she was 8 years old, because it was so thin & sparse and didn't grow much, and wasn't in her eyes or anything. Sadly once she had that first cut her hair grew like mad and her mom kicked herself for waiting so long.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• DD @ 2.5

DD @ 4 before she cut it...

DD after I had to have it cut a couple month later

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• My DD was BALD until over a year old and at 3.5 it was a fairly long but ratty looking. She cut it at 4 and we had to cut her hair to her chin to make it even. I SWEAR that made the biggest difference. It grew back much thicker and less ratty looking. You can check with her ped if you are concerned but I would wait for it to grow a good length then cut it off so it can grow evenly and the baby hair that is so hard to deal with can be cut off leaving you with more mature hair that is easier to work with.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• My daughter was like that. Now at 24, she has thick beautiful long hair. Hair is virtually dead cells once it leave the hair growing chamber and out onto the head. A healthy diet is a great thing for assuring hair health. http://www.joybauer.com/photo-gallery/best-foods-for-hair-health.aspx.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• have her checked for iron deficiency. My niece is anemic and has thin, short, stringy hair that doesn't get long. The doctor says once her iron level are maintained at normal, it will grow in thicker.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• http://www.livestrong.com/article/273386-how-to-make-kids-hair-grow/

I just found this website for you- maybe that will help :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2013