What affects hair growth in a child? *pic*

My 3 year old dd has very little hair still. Wondering if it's a vitamin deficiency or something else?

Or she just doesn't have a lot of hair?

I see little girls her age with hair down to their butts and go, hmm. What's up with that?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Every kid is different about how their hair grows in.  Do you have thin hair?

Answer by louise2 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Aww, she's so cute! I'm sure she's fine, but as always, with any concerns like this, it's best to bring them up to her Dr.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• There's nothing wrong with her hair. My daughter was like that a couple years ago. It thickened up.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• http://www.livestrong.com/article/273386-how-to-make-kids-hair-grow/

I just found this website for you- maybe that will help :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• have her checked for iron deficiency. My niece is anemic and has thin, short, stringy hair that doesn't get long. The doctor says once her iron level are maintained at normal, it will grow in thicker.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• My daughter was like that. Now at 24, she has thick beautiful long hair. Hair is virtually dead cells once it leave the hair growing chamber and out onto the head. A healthy diet is a great thing for assuring hair health. http://www.joybauer.com/photo-gallery/best-foods-for-hair-health.aspx.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• My DD was BALD until over a year old and at 3.5 it was a fairly long but ratty looking. She cut it at 4 and we had to cut her hair to her chin to make it even. I SWEAR that made the biggest difference. It grew back much thicker and less ratty looking. You can check with her ped if you are concerned but I would wait for it to grow a good length then cut it off so it can grow evenly and the baby hair that is so hard to deal with can be cut off leaving you with more mature hair that is easier to work with.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• DD @ 2.5

DD @ 4 before she cut it...

DD after I had to have it cut a couple month later

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Some kids just don't have a lot of hair. I know one little girl who didn't have her first hair cut until she was 8 years old, because it was so thin & sparse and didn't grow much, and wasn't in her eyes or anything. Sadly once she had that first cut her hair grew like mad and her mom kicked herself for waiting so long.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I wish I could upload a pic of my 3 year old here from my phone. But anyway, she doesn't have a lot of hair, but it's curly. In the back, when dry, it goes just passed the nape of her neck. When wet it's a little longer. In the front it's shorter and curls up just passed her ears. It seems to be growing out instead of down, in the morning she has a fro lol! I'm thinking its normal for some kids and it'll come im eventually. My older two had long hair by three so I'm not sure why she's different.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2013