Child sleeping a lot

My 8 year old DS has been sleeping an awful lot lately, but he doesn't appear sick, doesn't have a fever, and isn't complaining of any thing not feeling good. I'm starting to get worried about it. He slept 15 hours last night, and I had to wake him up. The night before, he slept 17 (!) hours, and that was after I woke him up.

I don't know what's going on. He is extremely active, so part of me is second guessing my worry because if he's sleeping he must be tired, but surely there's a point when too much sleep is just too much?

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe a growth spurt? my daughter used to sleep, eat, sleep and eat some more during growth spurts. Maybe have the doctor check him over.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I'd call the doctor
    He's too young for puberty growth that can make them tired. Maybe he's iron deficient

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I'd definitely have him checked out. Could be minor, could be major.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• My kids often sleep a lot more when they are gearing up for a growth spurt. They also sleep more when they are fighting something. Sometimes that is the only sign that their body is fighting a bug, other times something else eventually shows up.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• DS sleeps more when going through a growth spurt. If you are worried about it get an appointment just to be on the safe side.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• If his routine hasn't changed much ans he is abnormally tired I would definitely have him checked out for your peace of mind and if it is something you want it treated sooner than later, Hope all goes well.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I think just for my peace of mind I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow. I want to have a 3rd day that I've timed so I can explain the situation better.
    Ginger0104

Comment by Ginger0104 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I forgot to update: He heard me on the phone that afternoon telling my mom about my worry, and how I would be calling the ped the next day if he continued to sleep like that one more night. The next morning he was up at 830 telling me he wasn't sick and not to call the doctor. Turns out he was sleeping in just because he felt he could and he really enjoys sleeping.

He hasn't done it since.
    Ginger0104

Comment by Ginger0104 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2013