Improvised homemade mac and cheese?

I've found myself with a lot of leftover spaghetti noodles, also some Cheddar cheese that I need to use up. How can this be made into a mac and cheese dinner, maybe with hamburger? What else do I need to put in?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Food & Drink

• 2 eggs
    2 cups milk
    1/4 cup butter
    cheddar cheese
    salt to taste
    put in oven for 40 min. or until you see the cheesey goodness melting on top of the pasta.
    I make this recipe probably every week or every other week and it's a no brainer.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• This is gonna be clear as mud. Bear with me.

I would start by making a roux. It's hard to tell you amounts without knowing how much you're planning on making, but it's equal parts butter and flour - melt the butter, whisk in the flour, allow to cook for a couple minutes. So if you add 2 tbsp flour/butter, you would then add a cup of milk. Allow it to thicken slightly, remove from heat, and stir in your cheddar and then pasta. Season to taste.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I start with a garlic and butter and use flour make it a rue and then add milk and melt the cheddar into it to create a sauce.

You could also add a little flour to the cheese until it is coated. Heat some milk butter and galic on the stove and then melt the floury cheese into it.

I also add some pepper to it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I second the above, though I usually use heavy whipping cream to make my sauces.
    hatagaj

Answer by hatagaj at 5:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• A little milk. You can also use some Alfredo sauce. When you add the cheese, you need to at least add a little butter and/or milk. Experiment.... I just used Velveeta, chicken, pasta, rotel and two cream of soups.... it was very good.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• This takes two hours in the crockpot but so easy.Put in cooked noodles 12 to 16 oz dry ,2 1/2 cups milk ...I use a can of evaporated makes it more creamy and then fill the can with milk from the frig and pour in also.Add 2 egg whites or 1 egg and cheese , 2 hours later mac and cheese .We like it baked so I put it in the oven for 30 minutes 350 degrees. I seldom add meat because with so much real cheese it is a protein.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 6:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• You can make bbq spaghetti so you can use meat too. The simple recipe is online, just google. Then use the cheese for salad or topping on cornbread.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 6:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Ginger is on the money, if you have some cornflakes you could crush them up and mix with a bit of butter, the top the whole thing and bake for about 15 minutes, just to ensure it would be 100% unhealthy, sounds divine to me!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Here's one I liked, used chili instead of bacon.

http://blogchef.net/cowboy-spaghetti-recipe/
    Anonymous

• Put your cooked pasta in a dish, pour in some milk, cover with lots of cheese and pats of butter. Stir and bake at 350 until cheese is melted and bubbly. It's the best mac and cheese ever. Sorry I don't know about amounts - it's how my mom taught me to cook! You can probably google baked mac and cheese for some idea though.

Answer by missanc at 7:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2013