Am i giving too much water to my 16 month old

i have 10oz bottle which my daughter only drink water from and there is another bottle for her for her milk.

She can hold the bottle and drink it her self and she drink it during dinner time.

She can go thought bottle of water and will wanted to ask for more..
She drink milk with cereal or at night time before bedtime or have cheese.

she does have wet diaper all thought the day..

she maybe drink about 10oz water and 10oz of milk she maybe drinking more water thought out the day.

mommytobe24

Asked by mommytobe24 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say get rid of the bottle and only give cups of milk or water at meal and snack times. She probably just likes drinking from the bottle. I don't think peds recommend letting a child sip a beverage throughout the day. After all that advice, she's probably just fine. Unless she is not growing or eating, she's probably OK!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I agree with the sippy cup, however, it is not recommended to give so much water with meals. You don't want her to fill up on water, which she will if she is drinking more than 2-4 oz. at dinner. Let her drink water from a sippy cup during the day with snacks and between meals. Give her a sippy cup of milk with breakfast, lunch, and dinner of about 4-6 oz. Of course if she wants to drink it between meals is ok too. I'm not 100% sure about this when it comes to toddlers, but adults should drink about half of their weight in ounces of water (fluids). So take her weight, divide it by 2 and that probably a good estimation of how many ounces of liquids she should have a day. You can drink to much water to where the body can't absorb nutrients from the foods you are eating. Call your pediatricians office and speak to a nurse, they'll have a good answer and they give out advice for free.
    Anonymous