What is co sleeping?

I've seen the debates on here about it, but I am not sure exactly what it is or why people are so strongly opinionated about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Everyone has already given you plenty of info so I will explain my reasoning for co-sleeping when my son was little. It made it easier to breastfeed, I could just roll over, whip it out and go back to sleep. My son hated being in his crib, he would cry, so we both got more sleep with him in bed with me. I worked during the time so I feel like that helped us bond after being apart most of the day. I would usually start the night with us in separate beds, then when he woke up the 1st time, he would come into my bed. By about 1.5, I had a toddler bed for him, next to my bed. By about 2-2.5, his bed was on the other side of my room. When he was 3, we moved in with my fiance and I worried he would have trouble going into his own room but he did great! that was over 3 years ago and he hasn't slept in my bed since. He is 7 now and has no problem going to bed.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It's when parents let their baby sleep in the bed with them. I had all three of my babies sleep with me. I would have never got any sleep otherwise! But there are various reasons why some people are against it.
    Anonymous

• it's also known as family bed. it's having your kids sleep in the same bed as you.
    those who are against it say it's dangerous for infants and causes children to become overly attached, that they will never be independent enough to sleep alone.
    the other side of those arguments is that many cases where a child has died in a parents bed involved inadequate safety measures, or parents who were under the influence. As for the other other issue, I've found attachment parenting to make my kid more self-sufficient, not clingy. we transitioned him to a bed of his own in our room, then finally to a "big boy" bunkbed in his own room, fairly easily.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It's letting your children sleep with you. People who do it have reasons why they think it is best, and people who don't do it have reasons why they think it is a bad idea. I personally don't do it because I think it is dangerous. If you do choose to co-sleep, I think there are some products that help make it a safer situation for your baby.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Co-sleeping has several definitions - the broadest being simply allowing the child to sleep in the parent's room. Bed-sharing is specifically when the child sleeps in the bed with the parent(s). Co-sleeping is also when the child sleeps in a separate space withing reach of the parents - such as a bed-attachment (often called co-sleepers). People often think of bed-sharing as dangerous because, like anything else in the world, if not done safely, children can be harmed - but that's no different from sleeping in a crib or even sleeping in their own bed when safety precautions aren't taken into consideration.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2009