NY Passes Gun Control Law Today

New York has become the first state to dramatically stiffen its gun laws after last month's school shooting in Newtown, Conn. passing a tougher assault weapons ban and provisions to try to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill who make threats. Gov. Andrew Cuomo pushed hard for the bill, which passed the Senate on Monday night and the Assembly on Tuesday. He quickly signed the measure into law.

Thank Goodness some states are making an effort. Will your state be smart enough to follow?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50458152/ns/local_news-new_york_ny/t/ny-passes-gun-control-law/

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 6:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Very happy here in NY!
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 6:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• From everything I have read on it, there is nothing in this law that is going to do a damn bit of good and quite a bit that is actually going to be harmful. I would be PISSED if my governor tried to pass something like this instead of trying to find real solutions. So thankful I don't live in the Nanny state of NY, apparently your state government thinks you are all a bunch of children who need to be lead by the hand.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• So how is he keeping the mentally ill people from stealing guns from the mentally stable?

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Please post when they enact new mental health care provisions.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• There is NO reason to have these assault guns to be sold to the public! END of story.

Considering you don't even know what an "assault gun" is...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I don't need to know the in and outs of an assault rifle. The same way, I dont have to be raped to know both destroy lives.

Thank you for proving my point. You do need to know how conception works to know whether or not a rape can result in pregnancy. Similarly, you need to know how a gun works to know whether a law does fuckall to make people safer. Everything listed in that law is an ineffective joke, passed to make people like you feel safer for nothing but smoke blown up your ass. If you actually understood what a gun was and how it worked, you would know that, and instead of cheering, you'd be calling your governor to demand he earn his salary instead of spoonfeeding people propaganda on the state legislature's dime.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• This law is a knee jerk reaction encouraged by a nanny governor. It will do absolutely nothing to curb the "gun violence" in NY.

I hope that my state does NOT follow in the mistaken footsteps of NY. Oh, wait, we have some schools that have allowed armed janitors to watch over the kids at school! And, some are letting the teachers and admin CC in the school building (with the proper permits, of course.) I think I'm safer here!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Really now Crafty, is that the best you can do

Is that the best, no... but it's all the effort you are worth. LOL
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2013