Birthday delayed due to Sports...

Our grandson turns 12 on the 19th of Jan. but because of Basketball Season and all of
the games that are on every Saturday right thru Feb and they are all double game days... and
Shortly after this comes Baseball sign up and then class trips/field days/ and then Baseball
practices then games.
So talking during dinner with our grandson we asked him what he wanted to do for his Birthday?
His response was "Have a Sports delayed Birthday party in June" lol....
BBq, maybe some airsoft play (we have a large bk yd) Basketball (lol, we have a hoop up) just a bunch of 12 yr old boys hanging around outside.

(I have never delayed a party more than a week either before or just after their date so this is a first for being several months down the road)

Now my dh thinks that none of his friends will come, but I intend to send out the invites
prior to school ending and I have most of their numbers or are friends on FB with them (parents), so
I really don't think attendance will be an issue....

We are going to do something small on his birthday that night, dinner out/a small cake of his choice
a small gift bc the larger one will be given in June.

Has anyone else ever delayed a Birthday party... and how was the out come?

# 3 in Green/White is mine...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 7:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2013 in Holidays

• Yep it turned out fine.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I haven't done one that delayed, but it sounds like you have it all planned out. If that is what he wants then I think you should go for it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I actually think that is rather clever... though I personally would do it the weekend before school lets out so people will be more likely to be in town.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Not a big deal... he's getting to that age when a "kids party" isn't that cool anyways.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• We did it last year for my almost 13 yo. His birthday is in January but he wanted to do paintball, so we delayed it until March when it was warmer, but not too warm that running around in camo would be uncomfortable. We did a cake just for our family on the day of his birthday, but delayed the party/gifts for a couple months. It worked out well.

Answer by missanc at 7:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Isn't there one weekend where maybe they don't have school on a Monday (holiday or in-service or something) where it could be squeezed in on a Sunday?
    My b-day is Christmas Day. I had to have parties before Thanksgiving if I wanted people to actually attend. And if the weather was bad, sometimes it would be put off till January.
    The more important thing is that his best buddies can be there. He should probably ask what date works for his 3 best friends first, and the rest of the kids will come if they can.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• We have been delaying early October birthdays for about 3 years now due to football season.
    We finally get the go ahead from the kid sometime in late November, IF they don't go to State.
    I think mid December was the most we pushed it back.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Never heard of one being that delayed, I don't see a problem with it though if that's what he wants, if it were me doing it, I would still be giving the gifts from us and immediate family on the actual birthday though, not at the delayed party.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• We would do it the weekend before school lets out, but that is our Town's Annual Fesival weekend and there
    is way to much going on and he and his friends are going to be at the Town's Fair grounds on rides and stuff
    while we do our annual bbq with friends and family... 

His birthday invites are going to be designed as "Sports Delayed Birthday Party"...

gmasboy

Comment by gmasboy (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• Sundays we know are out for most of his friends.... the off days in school fall on all of the Holidays, i.e. Easter (no one around), Spring break (many are on vacation or go on ), then Memorial day and we do something... as does many others...

Our grandson said that he has always wanted to do a Summer B-day party so this is what we are going to do, we just haven't gotten the date set yet... but we do know that most all of his friends are not on vacation all of June... they start their big vacations July 4th thru August.

Besides I believe this is the start of the end of b-day parties with our grandson.... they do grow up really fast...

gmasboy

Comment by gmasboy (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2013