Any non medication ways to deal with this?

My 8 year old son has been having trouble in school since he started. He's very smart and was in the GATE program at his old school. The problem is his behavior. I just got a call from his teacher that he wouldn't cooperate with his reading group. (he later told me they were being mean to him because they didn't like an answer he gave) We've talked to the teacher but Im afraid this is going to get worse because he's had problems before, all behavior related. My mom wanted me to get him tested for ADD and I think he might have that but I don't want to treat it with medication. We've tried talking to him, taking away privilages, scolding, yelling, nothing works. Has anyone heard of any kind of treatments that don't involve medication?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• There are different things that can cause ADD-like symptoms, anything from too much TV to allergies. There are other groups on CM dealing with ADD/ADHD and I would also recommend you research non-medicated ways of dealing with it. But first, look at environmental causes, ranging from allergies (food, pet, whatever) to activities like TV. Also consider his learning type - he may need more tactile or physical inputs in order to help control his sensory needs - there's lots of different things to consider, so I suggest you research as much as you can, discuss your options with your pediatrician, and find out what changes you can make in the environment that helps. Start by journaling his behavior to see if you can find any common links and then go from there. good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Gifted, intelligent children sometimes don't do well in school. You may want to consider homeschool, or finding a school or program that would suit him a little better.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I considered sending him to a private school with smaller class sizes but we can't afford that right now. So I'll probably look for a program or something at his school that can help him. Isn't it also possible that the lighting in the classroom could be irritating him? I know of a little girl who had that problem but they have her on medication now. It worked for her but I really want to try a different avenue with my son.
    Anonymous