My 6 month still spits up all day, and gets up several times a night!! Help!

My son has had acid reflux from day one. He has been on zantaz,reglan,...
He has stayed on prevacid twice a day and bathanical every 6 hours.
It is so hard-even after several hours he will spit up everywhere...It's even hard to walk him around b/c of this.. WE all have to change clothes a billion times a day. I thought at 6 months it was suppose to get better. We are on Neocate formula and we eat solids too. We do have milk protein and soy allergy also..
He also doesn't sleep much..day or night..I'm exhausted and he is still getting 1,2,3, 4 times a night. I also have a 2 1/2 year old. Any suggestions on spit up and sleep?
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was diagnosed with reflux very early. I am VERY anti-medication and didn't want him to take it so I looked into other options and researched the medications. (Just a word of advice, research reglan. I won't tell you my findings but it could be beneficial to research it yourself). I kept my son on the Zantac and just added rice cereal to his bottles. It weighs the formula down and helps it stay in his belly. He still spit up occasionally but not nearly as much as before. I added 1-2 scoops of rice for every bottle.
    Laurr24

Answer by Laurr24 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I feel for you. That really sucks what you are going through. My daughter had reflux and she was on Zantac. We tried to keep her elevated at all times and she slept in her kick n play or her swing. It seemed like things got so much better at 6 months when she could sit up on her own. It sounds like there are some other things going on though. Is he gaining weight okay? If things don't get better I would go to the doctor.
    momof2girlz33

Answer by momof2girlz33 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My daughter was sooo bad for the spit up too! It didn't clear up until about 8 mo. though. (sorry to say). A couple of things that helped us...
    1. Gripe Water (Something with Oil of Fennel and Sodium Bicarbonate) before the last bottle of the night. It really helps get the burps out and settles the tummy before bed.
    2. Give the last bottle about 30 minutes to an hour before bed. Let him situp (on his own or in a bumbo chair) to let it settle.
    3. Put a pillow under one side of his crib mattress so he sleeps on a slight incline.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My son finally grew out of it at about 11 months! I thought It would never get better but it did. Hang in there!
    Aidensmommy1115

Answer by Aidensmommy1115 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Have you asked if you can swhict to a formula with added rice starch. My daughter spit up a lot. But she didn't have it near that bad. but we have been on Similac Sensitive R.S. and very rarley does she spit up. Ususally only after she eats and her daddy gets to playing with her and tossing her around.
    Anonymous