My daughter has the flu....

Ok so her fever reaches 102 to 103 at times. She is coughing and such with the aches and pains. I have been giving her the little colds multi-symptoms for the cough relief. It does break the fever, but within a few hours its back. Can I give her the mortin since that reduces the fever for longer on top of giving her ther multi-symptom stuff??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Yes you can alternate. I had a migraine for days and the pharmacy was out of my prescription. Doc told me to alternate Excedrin Migraine (aspirin and acetaminophen) with Naproxen (which is the main ingredient in my prescription).
    Even doing that didn't kill it.
    Also, when my kiddo was little I was told that Tylenol works best on fevers at or below 101, and if the fever went higher to give Motrin, and alternate.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I was using Motrin for my son every 8 hours when he was sick. It helped a lot and the highest his fever got was 104.1.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:07 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Is there any ibuprofen in the multi-stuff? If not, then yes you can. If there is some in there, then no. Otherwise call a 24-hour pharmacy or nurse line and ask, or call in the morning.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Nope the multi symptom stuff has acetaminophen no ibuprofen
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• MM, how old is your daughter?

There's a dosing chart on google, check there or call a 24 hour pharmacy.
    I know that alternating is hard on the liver and Motrin should only be used 6-8 hours apart.
    I hope she feels better soon. :(
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• ooohhh and I just got a n award for that answer. woohoo!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• She is 4 Anne...and congrats on the reward!!! lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I can't believe she came down with this damn flu TWICE!!!! I thought the PICU doc gave her the flu shot when she went in last month for it. See what happens when I think and I am not used to it!! lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I got one and my daughter did. She didnt get sick at all. I caught a cold. I did get the flu when I came back from my reunion so I think the airport germs got me. Ugh I am flying this weekend too.

Hope she feels better. Check for documentation. I speak from experience it is bad this year. His first fever started on Dec 30 and did not break until last Tuesday. If her immune system was weakened, the second illness jumped right in.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Oh, I was using Tylenol but he kept throwing it up.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2013