How do I get rid of stickers in my yard?

I live in Texas. And my back yard is full of stickers. I have tried the weed stuff especially for stickers. Yet here they are. I was told once to use sweet feed. The stuff you give to horses, and that will get rid of them, but I also don't want to kill my grass that is co-existing with the stickers!.... Just curious if anyone had any magic tips or certain thngs they have tried to get rid of them. I have a big back yard and that is obviously where my girls play. I have them wear shoes anyways but it has gotten ridiculous. Especially with a 2 year oldwho likes to strip anything she is wearing off when she gets out the door. lol ?????

mommymeof2

Asked by mommymeof2 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• ha! i read your post, and thought to myself.... "just pick em up!!!" thinking like paper stickers.... can you tell i'm in the middle of toddlerville?
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• there are so many plants that can produce thorns and stickers most are broad leaf plants that you can kill with out killing the grass but it will take time.

there are things that are a spray on broad leaf weed killer that you need to apply when the weed is activly growing these products are like a 2-4 D and this will not kill your grass if used correctly but you will still have the thorn seeds that the plant has produced. you can try to get them up with a lawnmower but that may not work. you can use a preemergant to prevent them from germinating but you still have the seeds. or you can let them germinate and then kill off the weeds as they sprout before they seed. this may take a long time depending on the quality of the seeds and the time to germinate.
    Getting rid of the source plants if first then try to get rid of the seeds .
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 7:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2009