Teflon or Iron Skillet?

I'd perfer the teflon, but after a long while it starts to peel and I know eventually we eat that too. Gross!

What do you perfer? And how to take good care of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• teflon is so gross! do you know they use formaldihyde to make it? so yeah, you're eating it. i use le cruset, which is enamel coated cast iron. i love it
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My iron skillet belonged to my great-grandmother, so it really does last! I hand wash it, dry it on the burner, and rub it down with oil. I use it for frying and cooking cornbread. I have only had to re-season it once in the last 15 - 20 years.

I also have teflon that I use for a lot of everyday type stuff. I don't use metal utensils with the teflon, and I don't heat it above about medium. I handwash it only using non-abrasive scrubbers and let it air dry.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I'm afraid of teflon, besides the flaking, I think I read that at high temps it gives off harmful fumes.
    I like my cast iron, but I use mainly stainless steel. I bought a skillet and a small saute pan of a heavy clad metal that has ceramic embedded in it and which is nonstick. But they were very expensive. I've had my stainless steel cookware for 20 years. I don't think they are made anymore- the lids have whistles in them and when the contents boil the steam comes out and whistles. The feature has saved me many boil-overs.

Answer by Bmat at 6:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009