How to explain to your kids why you eat unhealthy?

how do you explain to your kids that you can't afford to eat the good stuff: i give my kids fruits and veggies, and try to give them the best i can, but i can't afford to feed them healthy as well as myself. i'll eat toast and mac n cheese, and overall, cheap, processed crap that the kids want to eat (because mommy's eating it)

anyone have advice on how to explain to your kids that they're eating the better stuff, but mommy can't, without making them feeling guilty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Actually, it would probably be cheaper to eat healthy if you cut out buying the unhealthy items.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• A lot of times "processed crap" is more expensive than healthier stuff.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Making food from scratch is cheaper than buying it processed. I think once in awhile giving kids boxed mac and cheese is fine, but if you are making them healthy stuff, to make one extra portion would not cost hardly anything.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I would think it would be more expensive to create two meals then one.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• This site might help you with meal planning on a dime.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:03 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• i have a horrible habit ( i say horrible, because i'm doing damage to myself only) of picking up a piece of fruit, and putting it back, while telling myself that i need to save it for the kids, and i need to pick up something else instead. i've been known to bypass meals just to make sure my kids have enough.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2013