Any tips on getting a better hotel rate?

we are going back to Disney this month. Last month we stayed at the Paradise Pier hotel but this time I am looking for cheaper - way cheaper.

I am looking at Portofino Suites in Anaheim. They have some discounts for web, AAA, etc but I am wondering of any travel/hotel insiders know a "secret" way I can get a cheaper rate. Like, is there a term I can call and ask for. Can I call & haggle?

We don't need to spend the night but it will save us from battling L.A. commuter traffic in the morning as we are going on a Tuesday. So the hotel would be for Monday night.

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 9:57 AM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Travel

• I would make a big on Priceline,com, you can't pick your hostel, but they give you options of zip codes etc, I have had great luck doing it!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• A friend of mine always talks the price down. He just says "is that the best rate you can give me? I'm on a very tight budget". He claims he always gets a better price. It's worth a try!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• to get cheaper rates stay further away from Disneyland. The closer you get to the park the more expensive it gets. Portofino is pretty stinkin close do D-land! Otherwise, call the hotel and ask if they have any specials for that Monday - compare that to the online price.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Also, do you live in LA? Why not just leave super early and grab a breakfast at IHOP in Anaheim or cruise downtown disney while you wait for the park to open
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2013