Freezing due to open fire place

I have a fire place in my house and its open but its non-working. Its unsafe to use, who ever built the house built it wrong. Since its open cold air is always pouring in which makes the heat stay on to try and keep my place warm. Anyone know how I can fix this that isnt expensive? I already tried stuffing pillows up to block air but its not working.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

• There is no flue? Maybe have someone cut a piece of plywood and back it with insulation.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• It might look tacky, but cover it with plastic.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I was going to say plastic or maybe a piece of plywood? Maybe you could even fit a piece of plywood up in there so it wouldn't even affect the appearance of it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Ours was the same, I put crumbled newspaper up it and duct taped plastic over it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• When we first bought our home we stuffed insulation up it, covered it with plastic and then took a piece of plywood and slid it between the bricks & trim, then I chaulked it.. I then painted it to match the room. This was 15 years ago. Since then we've had to replace our roof so I had them knock the chimney off and seal it. No more cold air.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Is there a handle inside on the front? That's the flu. Lift & pull down & it should close. Have you tried that yet?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• If it doesn't have a flue then where does the cold air come from? It has a chimney I presume? If so, see your local supplier of inserts. The tubing that makes the flue goes with them. The result is that you can either use it (and they really do heat) or shut it off fairly efficiently. An insert was much cheaper than I had expected when we had our 1m x 1m x 0.5 m fireplace sealed in with one. Just a thought...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Ply wood it up. ply wood the entire open face of the fire place up if you do not plan to use it or get it fixed any time soon.
    we had to do that with a house we had. The fireplace was nice, but was safe to use and we were getting bats and good
    drafts thru it. So we measured the entire front face and liquid nailed the wood to it. You can paint if black to make it look
    like it's a fake fireplace then put a black iron/fireplace grate infront of it.

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• http://www.ehow.com/how_12151542_diy-fireplace-flue-replacement.html

Here is an article to replace a flue.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I will try both. I dont care for appearance I just want to be warm.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2013