Do you have any fresh asparagus recipes? I've never tried it & don't want my first time to be a failure! lol

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 11:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Food & Drink

• PI just sautée it in olive oil with garlic & shallots
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• My favorite way is to chop off the woody stems, place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 20 minutes at 425*. I can eat an amazing amount of it cooked that way just as a meal by itself.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Snap the ends, rinse, steam, toss with plenty of butter and a little s&p. I'll sometimes mix it in with a pasta dish (steamed & buttered) because I prefer it with something else, but steamed & buttered is the only way I like it.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I like them with some olive oil, fresh cracked pepper and a little salt cooked on the grill.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Peel and steam - serve with melted butter

OR

measure about 3 oz round rice (or the Italian risotto rice if you have it) into a jug and measure it. Rinse twice and drain. Put a knob of butter into a pan. Add a chopped onion . Add the rice and fry gently until translucent. Add twice the rice quantity of stock. Add the peeled asparagus stems (cut into pieces) to the rice. Simmer until most of the water is absorbed, add the asparagus tips and cover. Remove from heat. 5 minutes later add another knob of butter and a tbsp of parmesan per person. The rice should be soggy (risottos are supposed to be). Stir and serve. Hand round more parmesan as liked.

They're also great peeled, cut into pieces, steamed and then used in an omelette. Eggs and asparagus go great together!

Bon appetit!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• You certainly can steam them but my favorite preparations are sauteed/pan fried or roasted. Basically the same as mentioned above. But these days I am more likely to do skillet asparagus (rather than roasting) and it is so easy.

I use a 10" skillet with a lid. Rinse the asparagus. Snap off the ends where they snap readily (sometimes if they are very dried out, or especially at this time of year when they're not really in season, some spears will end up pretty short but it's best to be rid of the woody & stringy ends.) Warm some butter over med-high heat (enough to coat the bottom of the pan when melted, about 2 TBS.) Once the butter is foaming, add the asparagus in a single layer running the same direction with some droplets of water still clinging, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Roll the spears to their other side, season with salt & pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes more, until tender with a few browned spots.
    Awesome.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I would not over cook or under cook them.   you tube video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwwJtNiD-U

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• We like it steamed whole. Not much preparation is needed--just rinse and snip off the tough ends! Done!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• just like the PP's answers bake or pan saute but sometimes I grate some parm over it . There is an Italian restaurant that lightly fries them with almost a light tempera -parm crust ,with lump crab and a drizzle of lemon butter...YUMMY. I have had a version at several restaurants but none compare to this...they have great white bean soup .My husband and friends think I am nuts when we go there...I always order a cup of the soup and this appetizer for my meal.They are known for their classic Italian food but nothing is good as this.

I am obsessed currently.  ; )

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I cook mine like Ginger does!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2013