I'm undecided on getting a flu shot.

Will someone persuade me one way or the other? I don't want to get sick, but I hear the shot makes you sick anyway lol. Someone tell me what to do. Thanks.

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Health

• I agree with aeneva 100%. My Mom got the flu shot last year & ended up bedridden for 3 days. She has no medical issues & was in great health prior to the shot. So, while she may not have gotten the flu from the shot, it DID weaken her immune system enough for something else to invade. I am just getting over the flu now. I never ever got the flu shot. I had a fever for 3 days & felt like crap, still have a gagging cough but I got over it while caring for two small children & lack of sleep. So my opinion is that unless you are immune compromised in any way it's not necessary. If you are unable to stay home from work about 2 days then get it. The only thing they do say to watch for is if you do get the flu & finally feel better with no fever then suddenly the fever comes back you probably have a secondary infection & should see a Dr. ASAP as it could turn into pneumonia.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I wouldnt. They are only 60% effective and they only protect against so many strains of the flu when their is hell of a lot more then it protects. I have never gotten the flu shot and this year was the first time i got it since I was 9 and I am 24
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Are you in a high risk group? Can you afford to be down for the count for at least 4 days but probably 7 or so?

The flu vaccine it at it's peak for protection at about 2 weeks post injection. Even at it's peak, you have about 73% coverage. There is a flu strain out that isn't in the vaccine this year and it's causing some of the problems but the flu is just moderately heavy this year. We really aren't have a season outside the realm of "normal" but we did have a very quiet year last season so this one seems horrific.

So, in summary, a flu shot isn't a guarantee you won't get the flu but if you do get it, it might be milder. You do not get sick from the vaccine as it's a dead virus. You CAN get flu symptoms from the flu mist (live virus)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• A woman I work with is very educated on this.. She says you don't get sick from getting the shot. She always gets one & I don't. She tries to push me to get one, but I'm not going to. I don't want one.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• The shot is a dead virus (nasal is live) and in and of it self does not make you sick but I believe that it actually weakens your immune system opening you up to catching the stuff that is going around. THe one and only time I got the flu shot I ended up with the flu that progressed to pneumonia and bronchitis. I was otherwise healthy that year as with all other years. While I do occasionally get the flu now (no flu shot) I recover fairly quickly and have no issues. No flu shot for me or my children. There are many other ways to keep your self health.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I know more people who have gotten the flu shot this year and still got the flu. No flu shots for my family. My sister is an RN, has had the shot, and is still afraid of getting the flu.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I'm undecided too. I breastfeed a 7 week old. I can't find good info on the flu shot and that.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I get the flu shot every year. So far I have not gotten the flu. When I got mine. On Post at a Military Clinic. They inform you that it take up to two weeks for the shot to take effect. So if you get the flu within this two week period. The flu shot did not give it to you. You got the flu from someone.

Their is at least 2 types of flu that is going around, the Norovirus, it is the intestinal one.  And the regular flu.

Answer by louise2 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• The years I DO get the flu shot I get sick. So I don't get it. I'm not in a high risk group, and since I work from home I can afford to spend a few days in my pajamas unlike some other people. I figure others can use it more than me.
    Our local clinics are OUT of the flu shot. I was in line at CVS (for other stuff) the other day and they ran out of flu shots too.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• i have NEVER gotten the Flu SHOT
    and
    I Have NEVER GOTTEN THE FLU!!!
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 2:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2013