Should I have bit my tongue? and do you agree with me or with her?

My cousin had this posted on her FB today... she is the same age as me, our kids are around the same age, she is from Texas and is very...Christian, i guess you could say (goes to church a lot, believes the Lord has power over everything pretty much) so in that respect we are pretty different. Here's what she wrote and the link to the video:

Okay so the View showed this commercial and they were upset the NRA used the presidents kids??????? His decision is about our kids and he can use them??? How is the president kids anymore important than mine? They are not! When my husband not here i am my kids armed guard and i will not let the president take my weapon to protect my kids ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnJ4hbVLO0feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is what I replied with:     Cuz, I love you dearly but I can't bite my tongue on this one... HELL yes the President's kids are more important than normal kids. He is the PRESIDENT of the United States and with that comes much greater security risks than being a normal US citizen. If his daughters were kidnapped they could be held for ransom or threatened to be killed unless Obama handed over the whole US treasury or all our nuclear weapons or some other ridiculous thing that only the President has power over. It is a risk that he takes being our President so it only makes sense that his children (and ALL Presidential children before them) will be protected by the Secret Service and/or armed guards. I love my children and would gladly give my life for them but would I want them in a school setting with armed guards at every door or teachers that are packing concealed weapons? NO ABSOLUTELY NOT! If I feared for their safety that much I would homeschool them and/or keep them locked away in a closet I admit I am not nor have ever been a fan of guns, I will never own one myself but you know that my dad used to be a police officer and he has always been a hunter so I KNOW that they have their uses for everyday normal citizens. But the NRA's idea to put armed guards in every school in the country is just the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard because it does not solve any of the underlying problems in our society. Two wrongs do not make a right...

Anyways, just wanted to see what you all think, I usually don't argue my opinion to much on FB, especially with family members but I've been hearing about that NRA commercial a lot these last couple days and i just had to get it out when I read her post :P She replied but i'm not gonna post everything cause it was basically just her disagreeing with me.

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 12:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I see both your points. The second amendment gives citizens the right to keep and bear arms. Because of the rash of shootings across the country, legislation is trying to take that right away. I don't agree with that. But, that's a different debate.

I don't agree that the Obama brats are any more important than my brats. Any child can be kidnapped and held for ransom. Your attitude that his kids are more important seems, to me, to be a reflection of the general American populace. "I/they have money, so I'm/they're more important.

I'm not trying to be a bitch about my comments, it's just what I see and how I feel. Everyone is human. Everyone makes mistakes. To place one set of humans above another, and value them more, just doesn't seem right to me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I've already seen the posts on facebook - pictures Hitler used with kids around him (Godwin's!). Fact is, all presidents exploit children, whether it's funneling money to their pet corporate lobbyists under the guise of safety and education or kissing babies on the campaign trail. It's always going to happen.

I do find it hypocritical of anyone, regardless of their job title, who has a family protected by bodyguards, yet insists other people don't deserve the same level of protection.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I never respond to stuff like that on FB even when it comes from a close family member. IMO it's not worth causing tension between friends/family over opinions that if left unsaid wouldn't cause anything. I personally don't post my opinions on things like that for the same reason, but when I read others I just move on.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I don't think you should have responded to her, just because she won't change her mind, she will just get more inflated and carried away. To be honest it wouldn't deter me if there were an armed gaurd at every school, but that is not the answer, Most schools need some kind of buzzer/confined space before you allow someone into the building, a crazy person will find a way to destroy something, a bomb, a fire who knows? As much as I want my child to be safe and out of harm, there is no way to ensure it all of the time. I think if she responds back, don't reply.
    But yes I am in agreement with your "concept".
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• My kids are more important to me than his kids are to ME. I would imagine all moms here feel the same way. Do I blame him for having them protected by armed security? Nope. In the same respect, if I felt that my kids needed the same security I want to make sure that I have the ability to provide that. The second amendment gives me that right. "Shall not be infringed"
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• The View is funny. Remember when Rosie O'Donnell said no one should have a gun to protect her family?
    And then it turned out she had armed body guards?
    Not long after she made a weak redaction by saying if you HAD to have a gun use a lock and safe.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Before taking up an argument, on FB or elsewhere, it's worth thinking about whether there's any possible way you'll have a reasonable discussion, much less change someone's opinion. In the case of an issue as volatile as gun control and school shootings, the answer is most likely no. Neither of you will change your mind, and there will be needless tension between you because of the conflict. Let it drop; it's not worth raising your blood pressure over.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I never FB argue with crazy christian relatives (I have a couple) but, needless to say, I agree with about 90% of what you wrote.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• You did good. She probably didn't appreciate your logic behind your thinking because she sounds like she's caught up in the emotion of the subject matter.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I watched the commercial for arguments sake and I don't know if the president is for or against it. But if it is true it is kind of hypocritical. If the president is willing to have armed guards protect his children but will not allow the protection of our kids. Then there is something wrong there. I am not saying that his kids should not be protected. What I am saying is I don't see anything wrong with our kids being protected and I would not understand why he would be against that if his own kids are protected by armed guards on a regular basis.

Anonymous