Does anyone think that it is somewhat immoral to buy things cheap and then sell them for ALOT more than what you paid for them?

Like on ebay. Or is it just me. I feel real guilty buying something for a $ and then selling it for $20. I know that most people do this, but I just feel bad doing it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• No. Nobody HAS to buy them.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 3:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• well on craigslist there was a person trying to sell a tmobile gravity phone, they were trying to sell for $100.00, ok you can go to the Tmobile store and buy the gravity for 100.00 but it also includes the $50.00 mail in rebate, so i posted my OWN post saying what i just said above about the $50.00, pple shouldnt be ripped off is what i think.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• No, if someone is willing to buy it-then sell it to them.
    Goldenbrowny

Answer by Goldenbrowny at 3:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Isn't this what stores do to us everyday? They purchase a product at a low price, then sell it to us at a higher price for profit, so why shouldn't we do the same thing? I mean, if we go to the trouble to find a desireable item to post for sale (then pack & ship it or wait for them to come pick it up), then what is the harm of being paid for our trouble, especially if people are willing to pay you for it?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Buy low, sell high...It's the American way!!!

From odds and ends, to stocks and houses...making a profit is a GOOD thing!!! No one is FORCING someone to buy the items from you. Whatever the market will bear is the sole determining factor whether you will sell something or not. In other words, if the demand for a particular item is high, and the item you have is rare or has many positive attributes about it, then you will get your asking price or higher!

There should be no shame/guilt about making money LEGALLY! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I want to add.. If you are trying to say that these places should only be for poor people.. then I would assume that you grow your veges, kill your own meat and make your own clothes out of the cotton you are buying. Because otherwise, you are supporting it, even if you don't think you are. I have a friend of owns a resale shop.. she could care less what you do with the items once you buy them.. as long as you buy them. Let me also point out that certain stores throw items in their dumpsters because they cannot sell open or brought back merchandise, or outdated stuff... You can dig thru the dumpster if you want... they just cannot give them items to you. (I use to work for a greeting card company... everything went into dumpsters.) I never destroyed the items because if someone wanted them.. Great!!
    Anonymous

• Nope, that's how every business works.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• no... that's called business... You aren't forcing someone to buy it. And as long as you aren't lieing about the condition or age or whatever you aren't doing anything wrong... I buy stuff from outlet stores all the time to sell on ebay. I make a little money and they still usually get a deal over what they would pay in an actual store... Win Win...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Caveat emptor.......... Buyer beware
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• No guilt.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009