What was the "burn your bra" thing all about?

That was before my time.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• From what my mom has said, it was a sort of metaphor for equal rights for women. Like: Men don't have to wear bras so, we don't want to have to. We want the same rights as men.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• ^^That's it. I went to a few marches. Bras were seen as symbolic of oppression/inequality
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Not sure some kind of protest I guess  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_brassieres

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Breaking down the barriers of what a "real" woman was. You know, the barefoot and pregnant,keep your mouth shut,do what the man tells you what to do, thing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• At the time I didn't even care what it was about. I just wanted out of those bras. Hated wearing them, still do. I'm so out of touch. Are we still fighting for oppression and inequality or did we win?

Answer by admckenzie at 1:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Bras weren't actually burned until it began being said that that's what the women's rights movement was doing. Then they did it as a way of thumbing their noses - at least according to my women's studies course.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Irony: how many of the bra burners would be screaming today about the carcinogens and pollutants being released into the environment by burning all that latex and nylon?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• IDK, droopy boobs isn't a look many can pull off. I suppose a bra was seen as cuffs or chains.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• i figured they were just plain cotton back then. if burnt today it would be toxic
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• It was a symbol of the yoke of female opression.
    I symbolized the freebom from being harnessed into a "female" role, SAHM, perfect wife and moother maybe a little side thing to make pin money but it was mostly "for fun" image.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2013