Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Am i obligated to respond to his lawyer?

long story short, i filed for divorce from my husband in april of last year. i wasnt able to afford my lawyer anymore just to keep perpetuating and dragging out the process, so she stopped representing me in november. i have no representation at the moment.

we are scheduled for a case status conference on the 31st (just another waste of time assload of paperwork for nothing, only to tell the judge the case has gone nowhere and everything is the same still)

i received a letter today from his lawyer with their proposed parenting plan and a cheeky little letter stating they cant wait to hear back from me by the 25th. i'm to either have the plan notarized and signed, or write back with what i disagree about.

i disagree with the most important part, the supervision. which he apparently wants unsupervised starting NOW. and it's never going to happen as long as i draw breath. but i dont want to write his lawyer back. i feel like they can somehow use my statements against me in court. id rather tell the judge myself why i dont want this man being anywhere near my children alone.

Answer Question

Asked by tnm786 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Relationships

Level 43 (159,608 Credits)
Answers (19)
  • I don't think you are compelled to write back, but it will look better for you in court if you respond to the inquiries. I would keep it concise, no need to tell WHY you disagree, only that you disagree and you can explain in court the WHYs.

    Answer by missanc at 2:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

  • No you do not need to respond until you appear in court. Your gut instincts are right.

    Answer by Dardenella at 2:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

  • You don't have to respond BUT, considering how strongly you feel about wanting supervised visitation, I recommend hiring your old attorney again or another one.

    Answer by 3libras at 2:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

  • that's true, i dont have to explain why i disagree. i think ill type an impersonal letter and mail it off tomorrow just saying that i don't agree with their proposal.

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

  • I agree with 3libras. I would bring representation if at ll possible, there is too much to lose.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 3:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

  • i cant afford a lawyer unfortunately, and you would think i'd have it in the bag considering he has six convictions against two of our kids (three each) but his lawyer presents a pretty good case for him. im honestly scared to go against his lawyer without representation. he's like jose biaz.

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

  • i have his letter in front of me now, it says "please provide my office with your proposed changes"

    but why would i do that when they aren't going to change them for me, obviously? i just really don't trust these people.

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

  • you are right not to trust them (the other lawyers)
    sounds like they know you do not have a lawyer and they are trying to scare you

    i am not a lawyer, but my gut says, type up that you do not agree and will see them at next court date
    the judge will be thee and not let other lawyer bully you BUT judge is not your lawyer either, so things could go bad for you if you do not know legal ways of court... any way to get some legal help?

    i know hoe pricey it is (believe me)
    but do not want to look back and regret
    "too much to lose" = best said by other ladies^^


    Answer by fiatpax at 3:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

  • When I had to go through this sort of thing:
    My atty would show me the paperwork. I would say yes to this, no to that.
    Then he would write something along the lines of, Here are our corrections.
    Page 3 paragraph 4. Not unsupervised visitation. Supervised visitation.

    He always made it seem as though they had made a typo or something. Then he signed, I signed and his secretary notarized. He kept a copy for my file and mailed one off to opposing counsel.


    Answer by feralxat at 3:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

  • can you not call legal aid and get a lawyer?

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.