Failing Eye Test on Purpose? UPDATE

I just got off the phone with the school nurse. She was doing eye tests today of the children in DD's 1st grade class and she said that DD was having problems naming the letters or pictures from a 10 feet distance...in fact, she didn't get any of them right. Nurse was surprised that we haven't noticed her having problems seeing at a distance.

DD was a 9 week preemie, so up until two years ago, she was seeing a Pediatric Ophthalmologist annually. Doctor would perform eye tests and DD always did very well.

Over the past couple of months, DD has been pretty obsessed with wanting glasses (so much that ending up buying her a fake pair from Claire's for her 7th birthday next month). We keep telling her that glasses are only for people who need help seeing and that she sees fine, so she does not need them. Of course, we then get that she can't see......

So I'm thinking she is faking it because she wants to wear glasses. Nurse agreed that this is a possibility and told me a couple cases she has had where kids doing just that (one was after DD in the testing today). So I'm going to do some little tests at home to see if she can see or if it is something that we need to be concerned about and Nurse said she'd wait until first week in February (AFTER birthday, so AFTER she gets glasses) to re-test.

Has your kid ever done something like this?

UPDATE:  I talked to DD about this when she got home from school and she eventually admitted to lying because she "wanted glasses so bad."  I knew it!  LOL

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 3:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Eye doctors have machines that can tell whether or not she has bad eyes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I was going to say what Butterfly said.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• i did that. i wanted glasses SOOO bad that i faked an eye test in 2nd grade. i really did end up needing them in 4th grade (couldnt see the board) but didnt get them till 6th b/c my mom didnt believe me.

any way, id wait till after her bday. besides, if her eyes really were bad enough for glasses it would show in other ways.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• id take her to the eye doctor, exams are not that espensive and when they say no tell her not to do that again that lying to get glasses is not ok
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• No they did not want glasses even when they needed them. you might look at a sign and just casually ask her what it sayI did this with mine. I would look at something and then take my glasses off and blow "dirt" off of them and then look again. And complain about not being able to quite make out what something says or is. lol

We also play the sign game. Sometimes with pictures and when older strictly with the words.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Butterflyblue is right. If you can bring her to the eye doctor they can tell how good she can see.

Answer by louise2 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• So she hasn't seen an eye doctor in 2 years? Even if she admitted to lying, I'd take her for an eye exam just to be safe. My oldest had a lazy eye, and when they sent home a note from the school that he failed their test, I took him in only to prove them wrong. Turned out he had the lazy eye and though he seemed to see just fine, he needed glasses to help with that.

I'd take her in just to make sure everything is good. Plus, then you have absolute proof for her and the school that she's fine.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I think you figured it out! She is resourceful.
    If the nurse tests again after her birthday as planned, you should be all set. She has the THING she wants (glasses) and I doubt there would be any incentive to try to maneuver "real" prescription lenses (since her focus likely is on the accessory.)
    It sounds like you picked a winner present that will delight her.
    From my perspective, I'd respond to a child's expressed wants (that I'm not willing or able to grant) with acknowledgment of the desire & that I'm just not willing to provide/allow it. The acknowledgment is the validation of the wish, and my decision is the limit. Of course, this is in the context of caring & warmth (and you seem very caring & sensitive to her.) This gives a chance for frustration & disappointment to surface & be expressed fully, with the focus on coming to terms with things. When it's about other reasons, working AROUND those tends to become the focus.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Oh, I hadn't reloaded the page yet to see your update.

Well, now you know for sure what was going on.

And yes, you can be pretty sure she is going to be stoked with the gift of glasses as an accessory, whether needed for vision or not!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• the things that LO's will do lol
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2013