Tent camping and cooking

We got a tent and sleeping bags for Christmas. We are looking at taking our first trip when it warms up a little, probably end of March. I came across a book of 100 Easy Camping Recipes which is great and had tons of ideas, but where do you do the prep? We will be staying at state campsites at least until we get the hang of this. Slicing vegetables mainly is what I'm wondering about. I'm guessing I bring a cutting mat and cut them, where? Any other tips?

Asked by missanc at 7:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2013 in Travel

• Bring a tv tray with you, we have wooden ones.

Answer by louise2 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Generally there are picnic tables provided, but truthfully I do it all at home and just put the veggies in baggies ready to go.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• bring a cutting mat (plastic), knives and use the pick nick table. I pre-chop all kinds of stuff and bring it in large zip lock bags too.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I bring a huge cutting board, but suggest chopping all you can prior and put them in ziploc, tinfoil is your new best friend! I am sure they have a grill, you can premake breakfast burritos, veggies in olivie oil, and of course fish. The standby of hot dogs and burgers work as well. We camp all of the time, and I love cooking on the fire.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• The sites we go to always have tables, so see if yours does - if so, bring table covers. The kind that are cotton underneath, plastic on top. It helps them stick to the wood a little better. I use a cutting board and just do it there. It's easier for me because that way the veggies don't have to go into the cooler and take up real estate that could go for something else, although that's a great idea.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• March might get cold so have more sleeping bags .So many tips here  http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/tips/tips_and_advice.htm

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• LOL pick nick... I meant picnic.... should type while the kids are bouncing off the walls!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I do as much prep work at home as I possibly can.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I would do the prep work at home if possible. There are usually tables to use for a work surface but remember to bring something to cover it.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2013