My 5 year old son having trouble paying attention in class- Normal or ADD???

My son was born in June so he is 5 1/2. His teacher tells me he has a hard time paying attention in class and can't sit still for very long. Is this normal for a 5 year old boy or should I worry that he has ADD? I think he is a little young to diagnose with ADD not to mention I am skeptical of so many kids having ADD these days.... Just wonder if he is normal or not...

We are thinking about Catholic school this fall and that is WAY more structured- not sure if that would be better or if they would throw him out....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• the school can do an eval to see if ADD is a possible
    then if school thinks possible can take to dc for full eval
    if your child does have, then school will have an IEP in place to help his issues
    and dc can help with meds if that is something you want
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• We were actually just at our Dr. and I explained my concerns and he did not seem concerned. My son is pretty smart and able to play his DS and listen to a conversation at the same time and add to the conversation and Dr. said a child with ADD would have difficulty doing that and not to worry but to just keep that in the back of our minds...

Just wonder if schools are less tolerant of young boy behavior or if he is too active...

Our elem school also seems to write him up for small things like today- he was sent home with a note that he was on Red today (start on green, then yellow, then red) because he was not paying enough attention to the lesson...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• Normal, but I agree with fiat, if you are that concerned, get him eval'd.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I also agree with paxi. However, that was always a problem for me and one of my girls. I simply cannot sit still, nor can I concentrate without complete focus. LOL! It's just us.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• I have two boys and one was like this. I really think it's normal. He's young. If his academics suffer you'll get a better idea. At this age, getting them focused on anything for any length of time is tough.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• He is on the young side for his class, unless he refuses to follow direction, I wouldn't worry too much about this, most kids have a hard time adjusting to the "school" rules.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• ped is good place to start, but this dc can not give dx for spectrum

when i expressed concerns about my daughter to the ped, he blew it off (more than once) finally got a referral for speech
    and the therapist immediately say more than speech issue
    my child has autism
    if i listened to the ped, we never would have gotten an early start on therapies
    ped dcs not always on top of this things- mostly because they see a patient for a few minutes tops
    ask ped for a referral to see a therapist for an eval

could be that your child is most active in the room, so he stands out
    think about it, you have 20 kids- the ones that stand out are the ones that have an issue- if no other kids have issues- your s stand out- if a few kids were more disruptive- your child would not be on radar...know what i mean- it is all relative to what the teacher has to juggle
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2013

• sounds like my 5yr old be he was a nov b-day so he is still in preschool.. he can't pay attention is any activity. or god forbid a statement from us at home.. lol!~ its early but given both his father and I have adhd - he with hyper my with concentration issues, his chances are technically 90% so.. we'll just see.. lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2013