It maybe the NyQuil that made me think this, but lets look at the gun control debt from a different perspective. ....

All the school shooting that we have seen and heard about in the recent years has been done by teenagers with possible mental illness correct? And the hype on mental illness fore front in the news. Has there been any news on whether or not any of these kids were on any antidepressants? I remember reading that the 2 Columbine shooter were on Zoloft their parents put them on. Both kids complained about side effects so they were put on something else. According to the FDA, there are warnings of teens experiencing  psychosis, mania, hallucinations, delusions and increased thoughts of suicide and homicide. The majority of mass murderers were on psychiatric medications, so it really doesn't take much to connect the dots. If you think about it and look at the timeline of when mass shootings and murder-suicides started on the upswing, it is at was about the same time as when the field of mental health introduced psychiatric drugs as a solution to behavior problems such as children’s inattentiveness, depression, and other undesirable conditions. The thought occurred to me when I reading something on WebMd, and being high on NyQuil. I am a lightweight, men love that at the bar! lol But seriously, look at the timeline, look at the ages of these shooter, ALL of them were teenagers, with the exception on Lanza and they all had an issue. Whether it was bullying or something else, their parents may have put them on a drug such as Zoloft or Prozac and that may been enough to trigger what happened. According to Adam Lanza's uncle, his mom put him on a drug called ' Fanapt' which is a atypical anti-psychotic for the treatment of schizophrenia and the FDA approved it back in 2009. Apparently its a" monoamine directed towards acting upon and antagonizing specific neurotransmitters, particularly multiple dopamine and serotonin receptor subtypes" or it more known as the drug you see as MAOI and the caution you read on the back of EVERY pain reliever out there along with a other meds as well. This drug in nothing to screw with.
So maybe the answer isn't so much as improved mental health care, maybe it should also focus in on the parents and doctors who want to dope up their child instead of getting to the root of the problem first. I mean there are doctors out there that will diagnose a 4 yr old with ADHD. Really folks? A 4 yr old? And of course some parents will buy it and dope the kid so they do not have to deal with them. Not ever imagining the negative effects it brings on a young child's brain chemistry. But you know what is scary? Its actually medical doctors that are prescribing these drugs and not psychiatrists! As far as I am concerned, medical docs need to stick with healing the body and leave the healing of the mind to the psychiatrists.

Next time your child has a behavior problem, do your homework and ask questions about efficacy, safety and side effects. See someone who has real scientific answers. Then maybe then, just maybe, we can prevent another mass shooting. Because even the tightest gun control, the control which is pushing our 2nd amendment right right to the edge, people will always find another way kill people. Americans are quite inventive that way, or we would not be as far as we are now, and what makes the US a superpower.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• it's possible that the drugs are to blame,at least partially. There's that one drug that had depression as a side effect. Ummm,depression as a side affect for a depression drug?! So what do they do? Put you on a 2nd anti-depressant in addition to that one.
    It's REALLY easy to get those too. They don't even test you,or send you in for a psych consult.

I know of a 15 year old that was put on ADHD drugs at SIX,and he took them until 13. He was put on them because the school said he couldn't pay attention. The mom said ok.
    He now has issues with impulse control beyond the normal range for teens.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• My 4 year old is being evaluated for ADHD. It was at his teachers suggestion, not mine , but I do see what she sees and have for a while. I WILL NOT medicate him now or anytime soon no matter the outcome but I don't think he is too young to notice the sometimes very obvious signs that he may need a little help of some kind.....therapy or something. I'd rather find him that help now instead of waiting a few more years when it could possibly become out of control with no choice but to medicate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I think you may be on to something here.

I started taking my son to a psychiatrist last June. Something wasn't right with him and everything we'd tried wasn't working. After a summer of testing he gave us a diagnosis: Asperger's with ADHD. We then started with some behavior therapy (for lack of better words). It worked a little bit. Between the therapist and taekwondo he was improving, but not as much as we thought he would. His fidgeting was getting worse too.

So, last month, with the therapist's recommendation, we started my son on medication to help with the ADHD. Some days are better than others, but it IS helping him. He even brought home a letter from his teacher telling us that he had finished his writing assignment in the allotted time. He HATES writing. I'm still reluctant about medicating, but it IS helping. I need to do what's best for HIM, and right now it's meds.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I was watching a documentary recently that was talking about how they put kids on drugs- and mostly it's to keep the adults around them happier,because it mellows out the kids...and l the problems with that. I wish I could remember the name of it- I didn't see t he whole thing but it was pretty interesting.

As for did the drugs have anything to do with the killings- that's possible, and I think that seeing someone and learning to cope and deal with issues is REALLY important- they still may need the drugs- but not without the counseling and monitoring of them.

I think there are a lot of things that contribute to someone using a gun (or whatever else) against another person and I'm not so sure we can really "fix" it

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• great thought processing
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Medication and Monitoring. Should go together. Unfortunately, some people assume with medication the problem is solved and don't keep tabs on the child or adult, as the case may be.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 2:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I think that you have to be careful whenever you have a child put on any type of medication. It may help them in the short term but what about long term. We are raising our granddaughter who is now 4 and has ADHD. (Mom & Dad both have) Instead of drugs we are willing to try something new that has to do with retraining the brain. I was VERY leary of it but after just 2 weeks I'll have to say I'm impressed! Only 1 melt down and it was mild. I still believe that some kids may need the drugs to help them function but be willing to explore options. You never know what the drugs can do to their brains especially at a young age.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• There are many aspects to this issue. You have made a good point.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I thought for sure there would be that 1 person who would bash this theory. But I thought it made sense, and I wonder why none of this is brought up by some media loving doctor like Dr Phil or something? Who knows anymore....lets dope the kids up to help out the parent. None of this is directed at the moms who kids really do need meds as the last resort. I mean it at the parents who go to the drugging before checking other avenues of helping them out first.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 3:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2013