How can I get my 8 month old to stay asleep?

At 3 months old my son was sleeping through the night. Then at 4-5 months old everything changed. Now he will not stay asleep. He has a very good schedule and routine, but nothing seems to help. He wakes up around 7 every morning. Has baby food for breakfast. At 10 he has a bottle and goes down for a nap. He wakes up around 12 and has lunch. He does a dinner, then a bath, bottle and then I rock him to sleep (I can't get him to fall asleep on his own). I LOVE rocking him to sleep, so thats not where the problem is. The problem is that he wakes up CONSTANTLY at night! The first few times he will go back to sleep as soon as a pat his back, but after that he cries until I give in and let him sleep with my husband and I. That doesn't fix the problem though! He tosses and turns and flails around the bed while whinning and/or cying all night long! I dont know what to do and my husband and I are very exhausted!

Laurr24

Asked by Laurr24 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long is the time between dinner and bed time bottle? Try giving him a bowl of oatmeal before bed. Sometimes the bottle isn't enough.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 3:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• The problem is that you're rocking him to sleep. He'll get used to that and rely on it in order for him to fall back asleep because he's used to it. I watched a video in my parenting class and "rocking to sleep" is a big no no. He needs to learn that night time is bed time and that is it. Do not physically stimulate him, just go in his room and let him know you're there so he doesn't feel like you've left him. He'll learn that you don't play at night.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Is he getting one nap a day or two? If only one, try putting him down for another nap in the afternoon. He might not be getting enough sleep. If I've learned nothing else it is that a well rested baby sleeps better and longer than an overly tired one!

Also, try changing the routine. My daughter has always had issues going to bed immediately following a bottle. Acid, burps, tummy upset, bowel movements, etc. I try to give her her bottle at least a half hour to an hour before bed to let it settle. Also, make sure dinner is a healthy one with carbs and fat...it will hold hunger off longer.

It could just be new stuff going on too! Has your son recently started crawling or pulling up to standing? If so, sometimes that will interfere with night time sleeping. Give him a few minutes before you go into his room to see if he can settle himself back down. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• This is kind of off the subject...but is he only getting 2 bottles a day? Don't 8 month olds needs more then that? My daughter was still getting at least 6 a day plus her baby food....

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 4:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Navymama- No, he takes about 3-4 bottles a day, I just didn't post his entire schedule.

My4lads- He eats a jar of baby food around 4-5pm and then again around 7pm and then has a nighttime bottle between 8-9pm before going to bed.

Angie409- He takes an afternoon nap as well sometime around 3-5 and sleeps for about an hour.

Sorry I should have posted all that but I ran out of room.

LaurenKaye29- I'm going to try to just lay him down tonight to fall asleep on his own, I just can't stand to hear him cry though
    Laurr24

Answer by Laurr24 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• The thing is the baby food is thin. Oatmeal sticks with them longer. It takes longer to digest, and makes them full longer.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 7:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009