What is the difference between the feel of scar tissue and a lump that might be cancer?

I had a breast reduction 7 years ago, and I recently had a breast exam and the doctor felt a small lump behind my nipple area. He is sending me for an ultrasound to determine what it is, I'm a little scared. I was just wondering what scar tissue feels like compared to a lump that could be cancerous or even a cyst...I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks....Amanda 30yrs old

amandapeters30

Asked by amandapeters30 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2013 in Health

• I don't believe there is a difference in the way they "feel", but the doctor will be able to tell with a ct scan or whatever test he plans on doing. GL hopefully it turns out to be nothing.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Before you panic wait, most breast lumps are nothing to worry about, I assume they will start iwth a mammogram, don't worry!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:34 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Thank you for responding to me, I really do appreciate it!!
    amandapeters30

Comment by amandapeters30 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• good luck lady, as the others have said, try not to worry
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2013