What exactly is an assault weapon?

It seems that there are many terms thrown out there and used interchangeably when in fact all weapons have classifications. Reading through the EO's it states "assault weapons" in many areas but when I look up the definition of assault weapons there does not seem to be a definitive description.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Legally, an assault weapon is a regular weapon that looks scary.

I wish I were kidding, but that really is what it comes down to. By definition we own an "assault weapon". It's a .22 rifle my FIL passed down to DH who has passed it down to DS. It needed refurbishing due to age, so the parts DH chose to restore it modernized it and now it looks "scary". Those parts, which have absolutely no impact on how powerful the gun is, what size ammo it used, or how far it can shoot, classify it as an "assault weapon". To make it not an assault weapon, we could take those parts off, replace them with "standard" ones, and it magically wouldn't be an "assault weapon" anymore. It would have the same power, range and accuracy, and fire at the same rate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• A gun that shoots multiple rounds of bullets in a very short period of time without reloading.

Based on that description, This is an assault weapon

The Rounds Per Minute is only limited by how quickly the user can squeeze the trigger.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Anything can be an assault weapon. If I stabbed you it's my fork,assault lol.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• A gun that shoots multiple rounds of bullets in a very short period of time without reloading. Something like a machine gun that is not necessary to use as protection by an average person. A 38 would be sufficient for personal protection.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• An "assault weapon" is any weapon that is used to assault. It's a very broad term, and it is so by design. Whatever one deems to be an "assault weapon" is one. In truth, there is no such thing.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Tbh, I really have no idea. When I hear the term assault weapon, I imagine one of those gangsters/mobster movies and the guy has this gun up against his hip swaying it back and forth letting out a stream of bullets. I know this isn't very accurate, but I can't help but thinking it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I hope all the states follow NY

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Anything with a pistol grip and painted black...so it looks scary.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 11:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• It's anything a person uses to do harm to another person. So, basically anything and everything.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I always though of automatic or semiautomatic. I wouldn't consider a pistol, because there are only 6 rounds. JMO

Automatic is completely different from semiautomatic. Auto you pull the trigger once (like a machine gun), semi you pull the trigger for each shot. Only a revolver holds 6 shots. Basically every gun besides a revolver and a shotgun is a semiautomatic gun. A pistol can be any handgun.

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2013