When should kids stop wetting the bed?

My 5 yr old DD wakes up wet every night. She still wears a pull up. I have limited to no drinks a hour before bed besides a couple sips of water and also using the toilet before bed.
My 3 yr old DS wakes up dry most nights and I dont know what to do anymore.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• relax- common. It's called Nocturnal enuresis

She's probably a deep sleeper who's hormone levels (which reduce production of urine) is off a bit. Google the term for more info.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• My daughter was 13 before she finally stopped. Tried meds, no drinks after 7 and so on. Hope it gets better soon.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• My grandson wet the bed until he was 10 then he just stopped. Not sure what happened. I blamed it on nerves. His parents were always fighting and yelling creating a stressful home environment.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I don't think most insurance policies consider it a problem until they are 7. I think some kids just need more time to grow out of it. I had a friend that has a DD that wet the bed until she was in second grade. Not every night, but often enough to raise concerns. She was a very deep sleeper as well.

I know that some insurance policies will pay for those alarm things that will go off when they detect moisture, but it's really more to train the parent to go wake the child up to use the restroom because a deep sleeping child won't necessarily wake up to the alarm.

I don't know at what age a Pediatrician considers it a problem  though.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I don't want to scare you,but mason was 14. We tried Everything. He just had to outgrow it. My other 2 were 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• All three of my kids started waking up dry (in their diapers) at age 2. This was before we were doing any potty training, or using undies. I just observed that they seemed able to stay dry all night by that age. We've never used pull-ups (after my oldest started using undies in the daytime, for awhile I continued to put her in an overnight diaper at bedtime--we were using cloth dipes--but it was really unnecessary because she still was reliably waking up dry most nights. So I just left her in a thick pair of training pants overnight.)

But this does not mean they don't wet the bed! My oldest did a few times (I can't remember the last time she wet the bed; she is almost 9) and my younger pair, who are 4 yo twins, still do wet the bed.
    They clearly can stay dry through the night and have been able to for more than 2 years, but depending on circumstances they do wet the bed (usually near morning.) I'm not worried about them.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Some take longer than others to stop doing this. Maybe try to wake her up once or twice in the night, (an hour or two after going to bed)

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• My 11 year old still does. It drives me crazy and takes everything I have not to berate her. I was a late bedwetter and my mom made me feel like shit so I'm just going to wait for her to outgrow it but I do make her wash her bedding.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• She's been tested and all that. The urologist said she's just going to have to outgrow it and she won't be peeking the bed on her wedding night.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Peeeeeeeeeeeeeing. Ugh!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2013