My thought on gun control is very simple. MANY will disagree MANY will not but here's my 2 cents in this much heated debate among citizens

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison

"This may be considered as the true palladium of liberty.... The right of self defense is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction."
- St. George Tucker

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson

luvmy2boysGG

Asked by luvmy2boysGG at 12:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with all the statements the orginal poster put forth. I believe in the second amendment and every other amendment in the constitution. Just for a few crazies the law abiding citizens that obtain their guns legally should be punished. There are more law abiding law citizens that own guns then the crazies( I hope). I was raised around guns and hope one day to still be able to have that right. We need to just have to leave the constitution alone. mental illness is a big concern but noone knows when these mass shooting will occur so why punish those that never commited a crime because thse criminals. I hope washington understands one day that our constitution is there to protect us. the country is changing but lets not make it worse. If you want your freedoms taken away move some place where they don;t have them and then you will really appreciate them.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I can see a use for guns. I can't see a use for the ability to fire off a hundred rounds without re-loading. Except for killing a whole bunch of people, of course.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Anonymous

• So which one of those quotes is YOUR thoughts because by quoting others you're not very original. Just regurgitating stuff you think sounds good, while ignoring that quotes may be taken out of context.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I am NOT opposed to having a handgun. Just NOT an automatic assault weapon. This IS the issue at hand. Not taking away all guns!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I guess my thoughts on gun control boil down to who's guns are you trying to contol? My guns? Well, personally I dont own any. My father's guns? His are all legally bought, registered, kept in a locked gun vault, and used for hunting or recreational shooting, etc. There is no threat of harm from them. A criminal's guns? They were most likely stolen, or purchased on the street or at a black market, and purchased with the intent to harm in some manner. So whose guns are you wanting to control??? If it's the criminals, then do something that will address the issue of a gun that is obtained illegally!!! A criminal is not going to obey a law that requires him to give up a gun he broke the law to obtain in the first place!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• whatever.

I see no use for guns
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I see no use for guns
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes

Agree
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I use my rifles to hunt and provide meat for my family, I have used my pistol to protect myself from being robbed. I'm a member of the NRA and I'm always carrying. My guns have a purpose, I have a right to own them and I have a need to own them. If you don't like guns, don't buy one but don't try to infringe on my constitutional right to do so.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 12:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• That we FOUGHT for

Oh please when was the last time you fought for anything other than the last Blu-ray player at a Black friday sale. You didn't fight to establish our country unless you're well over 400 years old. And I have my doubts as to whether you ever served in our military. You know nothing of the rights you take for granted every day.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2013