Why is it that little boys seem to think it is okay to hit little girls?

When I was in school boys just knew it was not okay to hit girls. These days it seems as if no one tells boys that hitting a girl is never the right thing to do. I know it is tough. My 10 year old came home and told me that there is this little girl that keeps kicking him. Of course my first reaction was kick her back. Thankfully I thought about it and I told him that it is never okay to hit a girl. He should tell her that if she ever kicks him again he is going to tell the teacher. (and I let the teacher know what is happening so that she can keep an eye on them) And this girl is bigger than him. I just know that I hear it all the time about how boys are hitting girls, pushing them, and just treating them so disrespectfully. Why aren't we, as parents and especially mothers, teaching our boys how to properly treat female?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well right now my son is 2 and in the hitting stage. right now im working on the no hitting rule but then i plan on teaching the no hitting girls rule lol
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i think it should be taught in all genders, but you did the right thing by telling him to tell the teacher instead, i just had to say that to my 8 year old boy as he was hitting another boy in class.

i think its good to start young telling boys to treat .girls nicely as they hit teenage years, woman can also be abusive so i think it should go both ways.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I have all boys and they are NOT allowed to EVER hit a girl!! They have shoved their little cousin, who they see every day, when she was being pesky, but that's it. If I ever found out they were hitting or bullying a little girl they would be grounded for a long time!!! This is a "big" rule in our house!!

IMHO, the reason some little boys are like that are because they are put on a pedestal at home and are used to the adults in their lives thinking they do no wrong. Some people too easily dismiss behavior like this as "boys being boys" and don't stop it. By the age of 5 or so it shouldn't be an issue. They are old enough to understand.

In your son's situation the little girl is the one who needs the discipline!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I don't think that little boys think its okay to hit girls I think its just in their nature to be more aggressive.
    Anonymous

• Idk, but a boy pushed my oldest dd down on the playground when she was in 1st grade and she broke her finger when she fell. When she told me who did it I was not surprised. I knew who his parents were and they seemed to almost encourage aggressive behavior in both their son and daughter. So I think there's something in some people's idea of parenting now that is messed up because girls shouldn't be beating up on boys either.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Boys are more aggressive, but what goes around, comes around. Self control is a difficult thing to learn if it is not reinforced by authority figures.
    Anonymous