• In the Spotlight:

why?

now dont take this the wrong way. but i have seen alot of women and i mean alot on here saying they are scheduled to be induced. there are alot of inductions going on and i am just amazed by it. why? is it for health reasons? are you that overdue? or can you make the choice now to be induced? just curious

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Many inductions are for convenience. It's nice to schedule things for busy people.
    Many are for "medical" reasons, but not necessarily evidence-based scientific reasons. When a woman hires a surgeon to attend her normal delivery, it is frequently intervened upon.
    Sometimes a mom truly has a legit complication, but if it is an emergency, a cesarean might be the preferred course of action. Depends on the problem, the severity, and the care provider (& their training).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Some places will let you choose to be induced. I was told that I could choose to be induced to plan it around when hubby would be home.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• ...not that I am being induced or anything, lol, I'm only 18 wks after all
    SandraB383

• i had my son 2 years ago and my dr offered my an induction. keep in mind i was tiny when i got pregnate so when it got to be time for my to have him-i had no room left. (pics are on my page-2 weeks before i was induced) i couldnt eat and breathing was becoming difficult. lol. but i also had strep b and they wanted to plan the delivery so i would get the antibiotics.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• well i was just wondering cuz it seems like it is going on alot these days .
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i was induced... because i was 4-5 cm dialated and fully thinned out soooooo.. he wanted to induce me
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• well thanks for the answers as i said just curiousity
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I was induced for my first two, because I was two weeks overdue for the first and one week for the second. This time (I found out yesterday) I plan on waiting it out as long as medically possible. I always wondered what it would be like to "suddenly go into labor" maybe I'm crazy, but it just seemed so planned before. BTW I'm answering anon b/c I haven't told some of my cafemom friends yet, and I'm not supposed to tell anyone until we tell our dd. ;)
    Anonymous

• I was induced for high blood pressure. Although honestly I think that really only caused my bp to raise, and it made labor worse than it had to be.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2009