Is your child's school practicing a NEW Lockdown procedure now?

It's the ALICE system: Alert (an announcement that there is a lockdown, along w/ the description & location of the threat/ Lockdown/ Inform (continued info on where intruder is) Counter- if you are not able to evacuate, barricade your class using desks & chairs & find whatever you can to use against the threat (things to throw at him) And finally, Evacuate- get out & go to a designated area.

It''s sad that it's come to this but the new procedures will empower the teachers & students& help them be better prepared in case, God forbid, something like that were to happen.  

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2013 in

• the schools district i sub for did these kinda drills years before this...i dunno if its technically ALICE but it was pretty much the exact same thing. they havent had a drill since the CT shooting tho...they are more concerned with quelling a lice break out.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• The school I work at has been doing two practice lock downs every year for the past two years. Last year we had to do a real perimeter lock down due to a murder in the area.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Oh, I forgot to mention, they did change the lock down procedure slightly (I can't say how they changed it), but they don't evacuate.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I will ask when he goes back to school next week but after the recent school shooting we only received a call and email from the Superintendent talking about how officers are in schools in our County except in the smaller schools (which is one my son attends) and they were going to try to have more police presence around those schools. The police were there for a few days after the shooting all day, but are not there anymore. They will drive around the area, may be there in the morning before school starts, and pass by sometime in the day but its not a daily thing they will do.
    I asked my son about the drills and he said they did nothing but have been told in emergency situations what to do but they never practiced anything. Basically were told listen to the teacher, or if its happening whoever announces what to do over the intercom.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Our schools have always had them-even back when I was in school... they also do drills once a year.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• No my son's school never did any procedures
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• The school I'm in & my kids school already had similar procedures in place... so nothings changed for us.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• ^^virginia: I'd want to know why they aren't practicing this?! Many schools implemented some kind of lockdown practice shortly after Columbine. I think some states mandate they practice a lockdown, like they do for fire & tornado drills. It's good to have a plan & the practice can be done in a way to not scare the kids (well not too much anyway) :/

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2013